Question about inspection, opinions.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2009
west mass
Anyone have a clue? My original plan was to stick stove in the den and sneak the chimney through a blank space next to dormer on second floor (kind of a cape style house), since the ceiling height in that room is 83 inch and the stove requires a minimum of 84 in all situations, I changed plans.. I could use ceiling protection and be fine but I don't think it will look right. So stick stove in living room (room in front of den) where ceiling height is around 96 inches so no problem with height, I would sneak chimney through basically same dead space next to the dormer on front of house.

Here comes the question, when I bought the place the room above living room had some bounce to it, I jacked floor and put in 2 new beams replacing the single drooping one, this was 10 year's back and building inspector at that time said I didn't need permit. That guy was here to look at other stuff so the beams wheren't an issue then.

The million dollar question is, the joists are undersized, run the wrong way, and are 22 inch on center which the old inspector didnt even bother to check anything when he gave OK to go ahead, no worries at that time.

So after that long intro, to get chimney a straight through shot up thru rough the dead space above living room I will have to pull down part of the ceiling to gain access at which point the inspector will see the framing, it no longer droops or bounces with new beams but is it possible for me to be opening a huge $$ can of worms? Can the inspector say bring joists to current code? Or do I just go out the sidewall and up?

Last edited:
The joists above the den are framed correctly to add to weirdness of an old house

You will need to box the area where the piping is going through the joists to mount & support the radiation heat shield or ceiling support box anyway. If you keep your drywall cuts to just next to the framing he won't see the rest anyway.
Did the prior inspector sign off on anything? That may help also.
Why the need for an inspector anyways? Just another permit to pay for.
You can always see if the fire dept will come out to inspect the install.

You will need to box the area where the piping is going through the joists to mount & support the radiation heat shield or ceiling support box anyway. If you keep your drywall cuts to just next to the framing he won't see the rest anyway.
Did the prior inspector sign off on anything? That may help also.
Why the need for an inspector anyways? Just another permit to pay for.
You can always see if the fire dept will come out to inspect the install.
Install has to be approved by building inspector here, only way to view into the space the chimney would pass through is to either leave part of ceiling down or tear down part of wall in the room upstairs where the space is next to (next to the dormer)

I could install everything and hope the inspector doesn't want to see what's going on in that space.. But that's not my luck

The old inspector didn't sign off on replacing old beam, at that time he had zero concern about it but I think he may have thought the beam was purely for aesthetics since normally the beam would run the other direction if framing was correct... I didn't argue with him or offer up more info than he required

Well it is either take your chance, or while you have the ceiling down, take a lil more down and space two new floor joists on each side for him to see.
It only has to be inspected, if they know it is being installed. I myself, so not offer my township that opportunity.
They suck enough money out of us as is.

Check the code, as it may apply to new structures, and you may be grandfathered?

Well it is either take your chance, or while you have the ceiling down, take a lil more down and space two new floor joists on each side for him to see.
It only has to be inspected, if they know it is being installed. I myself, so not offer my township that opportunity.
They suck enough money out of us as is.

Check the code, as it may apply to new structures, and you may be grandfathered?

I have a nice neighbor who calls the building inspector to complain about anything and everything

Maybe I can have someone else make anonymous call

Pretty sure as long as no changes are made its grandfathered but if I make changes its not, so would chimney be enough change? I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.