Question about installing an new Harman Accentra 52i insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timber12vt

Dec 31, 2013
Topsfield, MA
Hello all, I just ordered a new Harman Accentra 52i insert to replace the Quadra fire propane insert I currently have, my question is this....With the propane insert I have in there now (the Quadra fire), there are two pipe connections on the top of the unit, one 3" for venting (exhuast) and one 3" for inlet air, both are unlined (inside chimney) I believe. The installer I spoke to at the place where I bought the pellet insert (Harman Accentra) said that I could literally hookup what is existing (both 3" lines) to the connections on the accentra and be good to go. I just have to get a 4" to 3" adapter for the Accentra. My question is....would this work, it would save me a lot of work/money running a new line down the chimney but want to get some feedback first. Thank you very much.

PS. from the top of the stove to the vent cap (on the top of the chimney) is about 16-19'

Check with your town... it may be against code to re-use liner. It is here.

I would also go 4" for exhaust on 20'... check your manual for what it says to go from 3 to 4.

Odds are, they won't reach anyway....

Briansol, here is what I pulled from the Harman Accentra insert manual, and I will call to double check code tomorrow when Inspectional services opens..

There are three different flue pipe stubs available.
1. The unit comes standard with the largest, for use with 4”
stainless steel flex pipe.
2. Part #1-00-674040 is for use with 4” PL vent starter pipe.
3. Part # 1-00-674039 is for use with 3” PL vent starter pipe
and also for use with 3” aluminum flex duct for outside air
connections.

Just checked with my building inspector, he said that I can simply hook up to the existing vent & fresh air pipes that were used for the propane insert.

Most gas inserts use two flexible aluminum liners with a gas specific cap at the top of the chimney. Aluminum is not going to stand up to the heat from the pellet insert. Can you confirm that the liner (vent) is stainless steel and not aluminum? A picture is worth a thousand words if you can provide a picture of the cap or the inside venting that would be helpful.

Page 9 of manual states 4" for going up chimney.You can use smaller for other through the wall options.

Status
Not open for further replies.