Question about Jotul 550 front grille...please help me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodNewbie

Nov 20, 2009
Eastern MA
I apologize in advance if this is sound silly but I have one simple question for you all Jotul 550 owners: please look at your front grille and please let me know if the grille is installed in a way such its bottom rests on the insert bottom trim. Somehow my grille doesn't (which -- I believe --causes the trim to sometimes vibrate when the blowers are working on high position). I think the issue comes from the fact that the two pieces of metal attached by the M6 bolts behind the grille don't fit perfectly in the notches as they should (please see the copy of the instruction manual below).
I am fighting the dealer who seems to believe I am crazy and have too much free time in my hands.

If anyone had a similar issue or has any comments, I would be very interested to hear you. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 12-10-2009 7-51-52 PM.gif
    12-10-2009 7-51-52 PM.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 214
Not sure what you're getting at here.
Do you mean the metal tabs don't fit tightly against the
cast sides of the surround or against the grille?
The tabs are designed to be a bit sloppy to account for casting imperfections,
but the weight of the grille itself should be enuff that there are no harmonics from the blowers.

Thanks Daksy. Sorry if it was unclear: my issue is not that the metal tabs don't fit tightly against the cast side. Their width actually prevent the front grill to fit in the dedicated space (the left and right notch on the scheme below). Consequently the bottom of grille doesn't rest on the trim.

Attachments

• 12-11-2009 12-47-16 PM.gif
    12-11-2009 12-47-16 PM.gif
    43 KB · Views: 184
I don't believe the bottom of the grille is SUPPOSED to hit the trim.
If it DID, the cast bosses - where the tabs are mounted - wouldn't
make contact in the cast notches of the surround & THAT would lead
to MORE rattling.
The Rockland on my showroom floor has at least
a 1/8" gap below the grille, allowing the weight of the grille to be supported
by the surround...

Daksy, one more thing; are you able to open the door without hitting the grille? Mine somehow hits it (either at left or right whichever adjustment I try)

You might have to take the surround off and make sure both side surrounds are parallel and spaced correctly. The bottoms are probably towed in a little from the assembly as the installers probably tried to move quickly. You will have to adjust the bolts and set screw on the top middle surround. That should correct your problem.

By the way, my grill used to fit tight. I like taking things apart, so when i did to find out how this stove works, i used a square and tape measure to put it back together to my liking. Front grill slides right into place, with plenty of space between the door and grill.

Thanks! This is exactly what I am dreaming of: plenty of space to be able to open the insert door without hitting on the top of grille!

A good check is to look at where the side surrounds line up with the bottom cast iron piece. It is the very bottom piece of the surround which runs across the hearth. The side surrrounds should match up and make a seamless transition to the bottom surround. If the bottom surround is wider than where the side surrounds match up, then the sides are probably angled toward the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.