Question about Jotul Olso Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No draft problem here. Maybe slightly larger firebox equates to stronger draft? Just a thought.

To me, as soon as you discuss draft, the issue really becomes the chimney in relation to the stove, not so much the stove itself. For all the emphasis we all put on this stove or that one, really so much of the performance we do or don't get comes right back to that unglamorous, but really, all encompassing function of that humble, unseen engine behind the whole pretty firebox, the chimney itself.

I've quoted MSG on this. He ran them both in the store and field and found the Castine to be more finicky about draft. It likes a stronger pull on the flue. Our installer also said this and was a little surprised that I wanted it set up for rear exit. I knew we had a good stack and it has worked out ok once I got the horiz section headed uphill. (They had it going slightly downhill.)

As to the why one stove varies from another with the same flue? I would suspect it varies with airflow, smoke passage and how quickly the stove warms up. The F400 is a narrower bodied stove than the F500. Perhaps the secondary shelf creates a narrower throat on the F400 at the top of the firebox where the smoke doubles back and heads towards the flue?

Corie can give you a better description of the dynamics of firebox design.

Just an FYI: From the Jotul UK site - the min. draught for the Castine is 14 pascals (.06 WC?) and the Oslo is 10 pascals (.04 WC?).

Status
Not open for further replies.