Question about logging winch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Hello all, over the years hauling wood has gotten harder, currently using an ATV with a trailer. Hauling large bucked logs to and into the trailer is getting more than I care to do. So I got a logging winch for my tractor. I finally gave it a try today and it was easier on the body but took way longer than just bucking and hauling with the trailer.

I know the basics of how to use the winch (got a demo for a sales guy at the fair) but I bought this one used and no instructions.

What took a long time was hooking and un hooking the logs, Im thinking im doing it wrong. So what I have is this: The cable from the winch has three loose 'chain hooks' ill call them. They can slide along the cable, these hooks have a round hole and a slot to allow feeding the chain through and locking in the slot. On the end of the cable is another hook that is slotted and can either fit a chain link in there or the cable itself.

The 'chokers' as Ive been told they are called are 5-6' chains with a large needle like rod on one end and a red round hook on the other end. I have no idea what either of these end pieces are for.

So the way I used the chains is, I fed the needle end through one of the chain hooks on the cable and hooked the end by the red round hook in the slot. I then wrapped it several times around the log and fed the needle through the chain hook again and locked it in the slot. THe end hook on the cable I just wrapped around the log and slipped the cable in it and just the cable to haul that log with.

So my questions are:

Is it ok to wrap the cable around a log and lock it in the cables end hook and haul just with the cable or do I risk damaging the cable?

On the chain chokers what is the round red hook and the needle on the other end for? IE what is the proper way to connect a log to the cable hook with the choker?

THanks

~ Phil

I can't quite picture what you are asking. We run the cable all the way out to the furthest tree and put a wrap on it. One wrap is enough on the trees. Then get a wrap on a few more with the chokers on the way back to the tractor. Then winch and skid to the landing. There is no way you could match that with an ATV especially when you are skidding out the bigger stuff.

Hi thanks for trying to help, I can be wordy, Ill try again.

On the connection to the furthest tree with the hook on the end of the cable. DO you just wrap the cable around the tree or do you use a choker there?

How do you use the round hook on the end of the choker chain? I didnt use use it to connect to the slider hooks on the cable.

Thanks

~ Phil

Hook on the end goes right around the furthest tree. Not sure on the chokers, the ones we use only have a hook on the tree end. The other end just gets dropped through the fitting on the cable.

Ahh ok so you make a loop through the hook on end of the choker chain and put that around the tree and the simply hook the other end of the choker chain onto the chain hook on the cable. I think I got it thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.