question about moving Insert to new house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockreid

May 7, 2008
Stamford, CT
I have a Jotul Rockland that I am planning on taking with me to my new house. Is it OK for a normal wood burning fireplace to still have the stainless liner left inside the chimney? Or should I remove the liner for the new owner of my present house?

I will have to reinstall the little flue flap? Is this a big job to do?

I would make SURE that if you left it, that the Realtor or next owner knows of it. It could cause issues if they went back to a basic fireplace. The flue flap? That of course depends on how you removed it. If you disassembled it, it should reassemble just fine. If you cut it out - it could be a real job.

As jags said, if that liner is left in place make sure everyone knows that it cannot be used as an open fireplace! Perhaps even use some insulation and block the opening entirely and leave a note taped in there somewhere.

Removal of the damper is an alteration. If there has been alteration to the original fireplace it must be clearly stated. Ideally there should be a sign permanently and prominently attached to the back of the fireplace stating the fireplace has been altered and can only be used with a proper insert.

Check with the realtor first. If this could be a deal breaker and you are trying to move the house quickly, it may be better to leave the insert in as a selling point.

It should be noted in the seller's disclosure. Also, any inspector better find it.

If the damper can be reinstalled without a lot of work, I would pull the liner and do it. A fireplace can be a big selling point to a lot of buyers, but a dedicated wood burning appliance only has value for the right buyer. Will the liner be usable at your new place?

Status
Not open for further replies.