Question about my 13-NCH clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletcher2003

Feb 18, 2015
Ga
I have a question regarding the clearance for this stove. I am new to wood stoves so any advice is much appreciated. The manual says minimum clearance with protected surface is 12". But with the 1" air space and ceramic spacers I can cut that by 2/3 leaving me with 4". My opening where I'm wanting to put my stove is 42" wide and the stove is 25" wide. So I will have 8.5" of clearance to combustibles on each side which according to the manual is more than enough. Is this correct or I missing something? This is my first install and thanks to the people on this site I have removed my old fire box which was extremely dangerous and I am now starting from scratch.

That question just popped up a few days ago. As I interpret the paragraph and table in the manual it only talks about reducing the clearances further with wall shields when local code insists on NFPA 211 clearances (36" each side). Otherwise, the clearances given in the table are the appropriate ones. I would certainly give Englander a call to clarify before committing to the 13NC and potentially installing it in an unsafe manner. This post may also help: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-the-englander-13nch-but.108494/#post-1423929

If it is as I said you should take a look at the Jotul F45. Jotul specifically states in the manual 6" side clearances in an alcove install with wall shields. As far as I remember the Napoleon 1400 also has pretty low clearances; check it out.

Keep also an eye on this thread as the same question was asked there:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ng-layout-clearances-and-other-issues.145024/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.