question about my baseboard i will be installing soon....(my questons thread)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

88rxn/a

Feb 12, 2008
northeast PA
this winter i will be running electric baseboard for some extra heat but next winter i plan on running full bore on my EKO wood boiler. i have really nothing installed yet but most of my upstairs baseboard elements are bought and ready for install. i used the heatloss calc. and im ready to install this stuff. but im stuck on 1 problem. my kitchen isn't finished so i am running the lines along a stud through 2 PVC pipes prob. 1 inch with MAYBE some foam installation around them (reason for PVC is in case i ever have to remove them instead of bolting them to the stud, ill have them bolted below and above the PVC). this is the only source to run these lines. i plan to run the loop around upstairs and run the return through the heaters on the hangers below the elements. im using 3/4 PEX. i have around 2-300FT of 3/4 PEX i obtained for free so im not worried about cost there. my problem is at the end of the leg of elements....what do i use when going from the element to the hangers? to 90degree L's? or do they make 180's? id rather not have to use more crimps since it will UP my chances for leaks....

88rxn/a said:
this winter i will be running electric baseboard for some extra heat but next winter i plan on running full bore on my EKO wood boiler. i have really nothing installed yet but most of my upstairs baseboard elements are bought and ready for install. i used the heatloss calc. and im ready to install this stuff. but im stuck on 1 problem. my kitchen isn't finished so i am running the lines along a stud through 2 PVC pipes prob. 1 inch with MAYBE some foam installation around them (reason for PVC is in case i ever have to remove them instead of bolting them to the stud, ill have them bolted below and above the PVC). this is the only source to run these lines. i plan to run the loop around upstairs and run the return through the heaters on the hangers below the elements. im using 3/4 PEX. i have around 2-300FT of 3/4 PEX i obtained for free so im not worried about cost there. my problem is at the end of the leg of elements....what do i use when going from the element to the hangers? to 90degree L's? or do they make 180's? id rather not have to use more crimps since it will UP my chances for leaks....

If I understand what you're trying to do, I think the answer may be a regular ell and a street ell to make a compact 180 degree turn. I did this in a few places on the top floor where I had to com up and go back down in about the same place. I was using 1/2" copper for those loops, though.

i see what your saying. so they dont have a fitting for this? strange since im assuming thats the reason the hangers are on these heaters? is it safe to use the PEX on the hangers below the elements where you ran the copper?

thanks.

Pre-made U-bents are not a common item, since the exact offset that each baseboard needs would be different.

A 90 and a street 90 on the male end of the baseboard, or two street 90's on the female end. Or a street 90 and a pex 90-degree adapter.

Usually, the return pipe runs over the element, not under it. Look for a spot with rounded contact points, and use a zip-tie to hold it in place.

Joe

thanks joe.
but why are the hooks below the element? is there a reason to run the return over instead of under the element?
just curious....

I did the same thing on my new basement zone. I used 3/4 copper to return and 1 90* brass elbow with a vent and 1 copper street elbow. I positioned the vent on the bottom. This acts as a drain if necessary.

It works out well to run the return over the finned element. I used mechanics wire to hold it to the brackets.

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 213
88rxn/a said:
thanks joe.
but why are the hooks below the element? is there a reason to run the return over instead of under the element?
just curious....

Not sure why there might be hooks below the element. What brand baseboard is it? Can you take a picture?

The reason the return is usually above is just a mechanical/safety issue. The element goes towards the bottom of the enclosure, so putting the return below it would have it exposed, where it could burn fingers/toes much easier than being encased within the enclosure.

Joe

i will certainly take a pic tomorrow after work joe. thanks for the pic TREHUGR.
seeing i am using this for my upstairs would it matter if i put the vent on top or bottom like you did?

ACK!
i knew i forgot to do something.....joe's pics....
im sorry.
7 days a week of work isnt fun....
the baseboards are HAYDON's and i was totally wrong..
the bracket on the bottom supports the element. there is a slot or groove above it though that looks like 3/4 PEX would nice and snug into...

Nibco and Elkhart

never heard of those companies....time to research i guess.

Nibco and elkhart are copper pipe fitting companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.