Question about my Defiant burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
OK, I had a chance last night to watch almost the entire burn cycle of my Defiant (in spurts).....and, of course, it developed some questions.

I had the good coal bed, put some up near the shoe, loaded up and let her rip for awhile to get temps up and char the wood. Once that was done, I flipped the lever. There was a slight rumble so let her be and went to bed. I came right back down as my wife was sick and tossing and turning so slept in the stove room. When I came back, there was a glow in the firebox, no rumble but the temps were hanging at 600 or so. Im a light sleeper so awoke about 2 hours later to the rumble back (answering a question someone had once before if it can come and go...). As I watched it and started to doze back off, the rolling bright orange flame got larger and filled the firebox, similar to when I have everything open when I load her up. I got up and closed the air control a bit and eventually it settled down and was coals when I finally awoke this am.

My gaskets are checked and fine, when we had the 60* temps I checked them and also did the light test and that appeared fine so no apparent air leaks. Outside temps were mid 20's so the draft shouldnt have been exaggerated either direction.

The surface temps didnt fly off the handle and overfire and I stayed nice and toasty. Since Ive never stayed and watched the whole thing like this before, wondering if something is up or should I just ignore it as semi normal for the Great NC Defiant?

Sounds like a normal burn. I often had rolling flames in my Acclaim, although they tended to be both blue and orange. I think the main proof of a clean burn will end up being what the inside of the chimney looks like after a cord or two....also, the smoke generation during the normal burn cycle.

I can't answer about your burn I'm using the cat model but see you joined around the time I ordered my stove. It has a defective collar that allows way too much air in. I don't have the replacement yet so I installed a flat gasket all around the one I have creating a huge difference in my stack temps and air control.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13653/

You know, you may be onto something. My first burning I noticed a strange noise coming from the area of where the oval connector is, kind of like a dull whistle. I contacted my dealer and they said VC is known for a sloppy fit but nothing could be done except maybe squirt some cement in there and all it would do would take a bit AWAY from my draft. AND with my stack height, it shouldnt make a difference.

Maybe I need to call VC and then re-call my dealer and tell them to get back up and fix the problem!

Thats what I get for trusting an installer!

Can you see the flutes by looking down at the pipe? Can you move the adapter around in the hole? My noise was more like a low drone type whistle but when it happened after the stove had been off for a few days (it was windy out) I knew my installer was wrong. I just used a long stick lighter near the collar and it was pulling so strong (even with the stove off) it would extinguish the flame!

Post up what you find. For me this was my only source of info, yes I know you have to filter through it all but at least my screen doesn't have an attitude like my dealer!

I'll check both visual and with a lighter later when Im home. My setup is a bit different than yours in that my pipe comes horizontal out the back then 90* up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.