Question about my new heat pump vs Enviro M55 cast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanborn281

Feb 27, 2015
King george va
I had my house built in February this year and its 1828 feet up stairs and 1812 in basement unfinshed. I have a 15 SEER ac and heat pump I think its 9.5 HSPF rating. I think electricity is .065 in my area my bill is never higher than 175.

Im debating if i should keep my stove (awaiting arrival) or return it and use that 4200 elsewhere. Also can I leave the fan on recirc on my unit to pull the heat around?

Yes the stove heat will be warm but electric seems cheaper than pellets now.

Think about the cost of the stove and pellet's, it would take years to recoup

It`s a good idea to have backup heat , but $4,200 ? I`d look for a good used pellet stove and a modest ( appropriately ) sized generator to power it for those times when the heat pump needs servicing and power failures.

Have you actually spent a winter in your house to determine how well it holds temp in winter months? I took a look at average temps and the record lows for your area (Dec = 30/-3, Jan=25/-8, Feb=28/-11) How well does your heat pump function for sustained periods below freezing if it is required?

For the coldest month his average low is 27, even if he got sustained temps below freezing I'm sure his heat pump has aux electric backup it's a brand new unit. It would take along time to recoup that $4200 and thats not even including the cost of pellets.

And i upgraded insulation to r58 in attic and walls. It held fine but it wasn't really warm heat. But we lost power and had no heat at all... So my generator would run this stove

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I had my house built in February this year and its 1828 feet up stairs and 1812 in basement unfinshed. I have a 15 SEER ac and heat pump I think its 9.5 HSPF rating. I think electricity is .065 in my area my bill is never higher than 175.

Im debating if i should keep my stove (awaiting arrival) or return it and use that 4200 elsewhere. Also can I leave the fan on recirc on my unit to pull the heat around?

Yes the stove heat will be warm but electric seems cheaper than pellets now.

I heat a ranch, 1750 sq. ft. up and 1750 sq. ft. down. All electric home with a Lennox heat pump. Only run the heat pump for heat until the outside temps reach 40. Anything under that the house isn't "warm".Besides, approach freezing, 32, the heat pump turns into a block of ice, runs non stop and blows cool air. Use the auxillary heat (reminds me of a hair dryer) as a back-up and run the P61a all winter. Use the re-circulation fan feature of the heat pump to help move the heat around. Use 6 tons a year. I'm/we are nice and warm. Can't beat wood "heat". Your electric bill will go up for sure. Mine doubled trying to use electric only.

Reactions: Lake Girl
For the coldest month his average low is 27, even if he got sustained temps below freezing I'm sure his heat pump has aux electric backup it's a brand new unit. It would take along time to recoup that $4200 and thats not even including the cost of pellets.
It does have aux backup

Not arguing on the long ROI but the house fits that category too;) It's a beautiful home based on the photos from the other thread. I've lived through failed house systems and it's always good to have a back-up plan.

As ABusWrench mentioned, heat pump may not function well if OP hits those record lows... I know I'd rather plan and install an extra heat source now before its needed. If small children are in the home, it adds to the gravity of getting it right the first time. Mid winter is too late and the stove shop owner will just ignore you... since OP would have returned the first.

Reactions: Sanborn281
Not arguing on the long ROI but the house fits that category too;) It's a beautiful home based on the photos from the other thread. I've lived through failed house systems and it's always good to have a back-up plan.

As ABusWrench mentioned, heat pump may not function well if OP hits those record lows... I know I'd rather plan and install an extra heat source now before its needed. If small children are in the home, it adds to the gravity of getting it right the first time. Mid winter is too late and the stove shop owner will just ignore you... since OP would have returned the first.
Yeah I'm now debating returning it... (not at my house yet) and doing a free standing propane fireplace

I have A 400lb tank for a range only lol.. So might as well put it to use

The propane is a good thought ... No way to figure out the most sustainable choice long term.:confused: We have electric range and HW. Electric cost has gone crazy since we first moved here 25 years ago so it might be more efficient to source propane. Our luck though, we'd change and the propane prices would hit extremes...

Status
Not open for further replies.