question about my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardh

Mar 1, 2008
northern VA
I installed a Whitfield pellet stove that I bought from a co-worker this past fall, and have been wondering why it gradually dumps unburned small pieces and dust that don't pass through the auger onto my slate base. It accumulates during burns under the center-rear of the stove. The guy I got the stove from said that it's normal, and that he would wait until there was a sizable mound before he'd clean it up. It does not appear to be a hazard, as it really does not get very hot under there. I'm curious if I am missing a part, and if this is normal then I can accept it, as otherwise I am very happy with the stove. It just seems a little bizarre that normal function would include pooping out too-small pieces and dust all over one's floor! Any insight is appreciated.......Richard H. in Virginia

hI WE INSTALL 150 PELLET STOVES A YEAR. IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING NEEDS SEALED UNDER THE STOVE. IS THE HOPPER LEAKING SAWDUST OR IS IT THE BURN POT AREA. A TUBE OF HIGH TEMP SILICONE MAY BE THE ANSWER. WE WOULD NOT WANT THIS OCCURING ON ANY OF OUR UNITS. PROBABLY WON'T HURT ANYTHING ALTHOUGH PELLET STOVES RUN ON VACUUM OR PRESSURE. AIR COULD BE LEAKING IN THE SAME AREA.

creeky-thanks for your reply--I don't know yet where it's coming from for sure, but if I somehow figure out how to seal that area, the stuff will still be accumulating, only now it's going to build up inside.. The guy said that because the auger is smaller in diameter than its tube, that these smaller pieces and dust fall out as a natural function, 'cuz you don't want them making their way to the fire pan--does that sound right?

Also check to see that the auger motor is bolted on all the way. It sort of just dangles there but I have seen many whitfields and I agree that what you describe is not normal nor does it sound entirely safe for the machine. Its easy enough to vaccum the sawdust out every now and again rather than have it build up under the machine

on older whitfields and others this is normal for Fines to fall through the auger bushing plate
when we do a service the first time on someones whitfield we show them the pile and explain why it is a good ideal to open the stove up and suck out dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.