Question about Okanagan pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi all, I've read several posts about Okanagan pellets and most mention they come 1.3 tons per pallet. I have 4 tons of them for my stove and they were delivered on 4 pallets, 1 ton per pallet, all sealed in plastic. Is there more than one type of Okanagan pellet? The bags look like the pictures I've seen but I just want to make sure I've got the good pellets everyone talks about. Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is my first year with pellets and pellet stove and I'm still learning.
Thanks
JB

jbmaine said:
Hi all, I've read several posts about Okanagan pellets and most mention they come 1.3 tons per pallet. I have 4 tons of them for my stove and they were delivered on 4 pallets, 1 ton per pallet, all sealed in plastic. Is there more than one type of Okanagan pellet? The bags look like the pictures I've seen but I just want to make sure I've got the good pellets everyone talks about. Sorry if this is a dumb question. This is my first year with pellets and pellet stove and I'm still learning.
Thanks
JB

I'm sure BTU will take the lead on this question.....what say you, BTU???

jbmaine said:
Thanks
JB

I would bet they are the same, and were just sort of re-packaged to make them a ton versus 1.3 tons. The 1.3 tons were always priced as such, so if you bought 4 tons for $299/ton = $1196, you could have bought 3.9 tons for $299/ton = $1166.10.

BTU said:
Actually if you are in the western part of the US or Canada and we shipped via truck to the dealer, we will ship a 50 bag pallet...just not in a boxcar to the eastern part of the country...so depending on where you are located, you may have gotten a 1 ton pallet that was packed that way at the mill...(I mostly do the east, so this sort slipped my mind for a minute.)

I "assumed" by his name he was from Maine???

BTU, somewhere in a post of yours you mentioned distributing to BJ's ? All stores or just select stores? How about the Auburn Maine store. Last year every time I called them to ask if they would be getting any pellets (of any brand) they couldn't tell me when or if they would be carrying them.

Thanks for the info everyone, The dealer might have repacked them onto four pallets, but if so they did a great job, all were wrapped in plastic, tight as a drum and bone dry. And yes, I am from Maine, just outside of Kittery.
Thanks again
JB

pellet burner said:
BTU, somewhere in a post of yours you mentioned distributing to BJ's ? All stores or just select stores? How about the Auburn Maine store. Last year every time I called them to ask if they would be getting any pellets (of any brand) they couldn't tell me when or if they would be carrying them.

It's not all the BJ's stores. The ones near me didn't carry them. :mad:

BTU said:
BTU said:
sinnian said:
jbmaine said:
Thanks
JB

I would bet they are the same, and were just sort of re-packaged to make them a ton versus 1.3 tons. The 1.3 tons were always priced as such, so if you bought 4 tons for $299/ton = $1196, you could have bought 3.9 tons for $299/ton = $1166.10.

When we ship from the mill, all the pallets are loaded with 65 bags per pallet or 1.3 tons. I know there are some dealers that will break them down after they get them, to 50 bags per ton, but certainly not every dealer will do this...or you could have gotten 3 pallets at 1.3 = 3.9tons and the dealer for ease just referred to it as 4 tons...but there is ONLY one Okanagan Brand of pellets from beautiful British Columbia...should be a picture of a big ol' green pine tree on the front of bag...

Actually if you are in the western part of the US or Canada and we shipped via truck to the dealer, we will ship a 50 bag pallet...just not in a boxcar to the eastern part of the country...so depending on where you are located, you may have gotten a 1 ton pallet that was packed that way at the mill...(I mostly do the east, so this sorta slipped my mind for a minute.)

Hmm got mine from Acton Pellet in Massachusetts....there were 50 bags as well...can't picture them palletizing them to make 50....and if they did they were very good at re-wrapping them...will have to bring down my Xmas presnts for them to wrap this year as well.

Home and Hearth in Hampton falls, NH delivered by the ton - - -50 bags neatly shrink wrapped.

I just went downstairs and looked. The two tons of Okanagans I bought are shrink wrapped in what must be the original Okanagan plastic. It's white with a large green pine tree symbol on it and the name "Okanagan".

BTU, it doesn't matter to me but you might not be aware that some packages ship that way as tons. Theoretically, the dealer could have taken a 65 bag unit, pulled out fifteen bags, and rewrapped the remaining fifty to sell as a unit. Seems unlikely, though.

Stentor said:
Home and Hearth in Hampton falls, NH delivered by the ton - - -50 bags neatly shrink wrapped.
That's where I bought mine. Don't remember the name of the guy who delivered them but he did a great job. Slid them right into the basement and let me use his pallet jack to move them to their final home. Couldn't have been easier.
JB

At our shop we break about 1/2 our truckload down to 1 ton skids. A lot of our customers don't get the 1.3 skid because they are used to the 1 ton from the past. It also seems like more money when there are 65 bags vs 50.

As for our delivery it is easier to handle the 1 tons

Steve

newdivision said:
Pelletdude where in Ct are you located? I would be interested in trying some of those Okanagan pellets.

Me too! Send PM with per bag price. I want to try them too!

I own the Omega, So I might need someone for replacement parts as well!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.