Question about Osburn Matrix insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williabe

Oct 9, 2014
North Texas
I'm new to the forum. I appreciate all of the useful discussions and information.

I'm considering purchase and self installation of an Osburn Matrix.

My question concerns the cast iron right and left faceplates. Can the cast iron faceplates be separated from their underlying support bracket? What I want to do, if possible, is separate the decorative cast iron faceplate from the support/mounting bracket and attach a set of hidden hinges to the back of the faceplate to provide a hinged cover for a steel box behind the faceplate. The box, which I would fabricate, would contain operating controls for a sealing combustion air damper, etc.

The local dealers can not answer this question and the regional distributor is unwilling to break open a crated insert. I've asked Osburn mfg by email and they have said it is not possible to separate the cast iron plates from the mounting brackets. Any information from someone who owns a Matrix would be appreciated.

Thanks, williabe

I had a Matrix insert, and I thought the little brackets on each piece of the cast iron faceplace could be removed by allen head bolts. They are definitely not cast into the plates, they are little steel brackets. Even if they're not made to be removed, if you have some basic fab skills I'm sure you could work some hinges in there. I would be concerned about vibration noises with the hinges if you are using the blower.

I'm not sure what kind of controls you're needing but if they're just small and electronic, there's already a small opening in the left side faceplace (when facing the stove) for the blower control. You could probably squeeze another small control in over there.

I had a Matrix insert, and I thought the little brackets on each piece of the cast iron faceplace could be removed by allen head bolts. They are definitely not cast into the plates, they are little steel brackets. Even if they're not made to be removed, if you have some basic fab skills I'm sure you could work some hinges in there. I would be concerned about vibration noises with the hinges if you are using the blower.

I'm not sure what kind of controls you're needing but if they're just small and electronic, there's already a small opening in the left side faceplace (when facing the stove) for the blower control. You could probably squeeze another small control in over there.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. That's what I suspected but I couldn't get a dealer, a distributor, or the manufacturer to confirm that the faceplates could be separated from the mounting plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.