Question about painted fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csierotnik

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
Syracuse, NY
When we moved in our brick fire place was painted red. My wife did't like the red, so she painted it white. I have since installed an old 1985 Lopi Answer A-2 insert in the fireplace. It is flush with the opening. I haven't fired her yet because I am waiting for a baffle support to come in. Do you think I should have high temp paint on the brick or do you think the old Behr paint from home dep. will be ok?
Thanks everyone.

Only one way to find out.... Fire her up !!! My guess is that if it was properly cleaned before painted, it will most likely be fine. Not that I am a paint professional (I do do a mean cut in) or anything.

I had to modify my hearth in order to accomodate my H2100. Basically I had to add bricks and when I did the mortar I used didn't match the mortar of the existing brick. So I painted all of the mortar with grout paint that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes so it would all match. Some of this grout/paint sits right above my H2100 and I haven't had any issues with it (so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.