Question about putting a stove in a fireplace CFM FW240007

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
Well I went to Lowes and saw that they had a Century 1000sqft FW240007. The problem I have is that I have to use my existing fireplace and there isnt any room past the hearth for it. It will fit my fireplace height wise (barely), but nowhere in the manual does it say anything about mantle height clearances. This sucker is tall because of the built in ash pan (which I really dont need). The only reason I'm interested in this stove is that it's like $150 at Lowes. I've still got to check out my chimney, but am thinking about the liner/blockoff plate anyway just to make sure the draft is good. I wish I had a lot more money to spend on just what I need, but being in Georgia kinda makes this not so important of an investment compared to if we had brutal winters. My mantle is 48" above the hearth and the stove is like 28" tall. Should I just forget about this for a season or take advantage of this good deal?

20" is too close, but in general a heat shield should take care of that, especially if your unit is mostly into the fireplace (less radiant area out in front).
you might want to see if Century sells the exact same unit as an insert.....and then look at that manual.

Note this, however - a suggestion for a mantel shield which also protects too much heat from soaking into the fireplace face.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 435
BUNCH1999 said:
That is an awesome deal. How many did they have?

Here in PA, Lowe's just had their annual 50% sale. Got my Century 1000 for $234.50 and purchased the optional blower for $62.50. I had a hard time locating one as I was about three days into the sale. They went like hot cakes, think I got one of the very last ones.

Stihl025 said:
BUNCH1999 said:
That is an awesome deal. How many did they have?

Here in PA, Lowe's just had their annual 50% sale. Got my Century 1000 for $234.50 and purchased the optional blower for $62.50. I had a hard time locating one as I was about three days into the sale. They went like hot cakes, think I got one of the very last ones.

I went and got one today. Paid roughly the same as you. Got it into the house and realized that you had to cure the thing with three burns first.

Have you done this yet? How did you go about it? They had some pretty specific instructions on the initial burns ( first two for 20 minutes at 250F, third at < 500F for 45 minutes). Did the stove smoke badly?

Thanks for all of your help!

BUNCH1999 said:
I went and got one today. Paid roughly the same as you. Got it into the house and realized that you had to cure the thing with three burns first.

Have you done this yet? How did you go about it? They had some pretty specific instructions on the initial burns ( first two for 20 minutes at 250F, third at < 500F for 45 minutes). Did the stove smoke badly?

Thanks for all of your help!

No, I haven't. Just got my stainless liner delivered today, not without problems, of course. See thread about the dent. Since it looks like I won't be able to do the install tomorrow like I planned, I may just take that sucker outside on the patio and do it out there.

I also have a Century Hearth 1000. Responses have clarified for me the mantel height -- Thank you all.
I wonder what you all think about my cutting the pedestal off the stove so I can set it in my fireplace. If I do that I can run a stainless flue straight up my existing chimney.
My fireplace is steel lined. It is solid stone built in 1966 with the cabin. It has a damper.
Cabin is 950 sq. ft.
I'll give more infor and a photo if you would like.
God Bless, Taylor

I think you are literally playing with fire. Contact your insurance company and see if they will pay for any damages should there be a fire due to the stove.

Matt

I think you could remove part of the stand, but i think you will have trouble getting a good hot fire to burn. My century has trouble drawing enough air to burn hot. I actually had to remove the ash brick and put hardware cloth in it's place to get enough air to draw with the door closed. I have my stove set in the fireplace, works fine, but does not put out as much heat as if it were in the room.

Can you expand the hearth and have it sit there? I think the stove is around 19" deep. If it is a height problem and the stove pipe will need to run parallel, or slightly downward to the chimney, will that not cause drafting issues (again the fire burning hot enough situation)?

Moving the stove out more on to the hearth is a possibility. I did not take that into consideration last fall and therefore do not have measurements to confirm that move. Right now there is about six feet of snow on the road to the cabin. I look forward to seeing if that move will work. I believe the stove pipe would have to be angled down for a couple of feet before I could connect to the new chimney liner. Thank you for the suggestion.
God Bless, Taylorgood

A few feed horizontal or a few feet vertical? You may have trouble getting the smoke to go down.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.