Question about re-lining chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds more like it. I didn't think 8x8 would be used on an open fireplace. If the chimney is really clean (including the smoke shelf), then yes, it sounds like you are good to go with an insulated 8" liner. That wood doesn't look too bad either. Your dad's friend did you well if this is typical of the splits in the pile.

Have to ask, how did this go from 25' to 15'. It sounds like you lost a story's worth of chimney.

Before install the liner I'm going to do another cleaning. Need to get a better attachment for my shopvac to get up onto the smoke shelf. And as far as the wood goes, I've gotten my wood from him since I've moved here, just about 3 years. Its a great deal since most people in the area sell seasoned wood for approx $250 a cord.

How do you secure the roxul insulation onto the pipe? I'm thinking I want to go with roxul due to the price

If you're using the foil lined blankets made for flues of specific diameter, there is an adhesive spray for the seam and foil tape used every 6 or 12 inches around the pipe as you feed down. If you're not, you should probably consider it if you're not pouring insulated throughout the entire flue onto a block plate. Even with someone else doing the work, it's 200 bucks with materials for a 25ft liner....at least based on the two quotes I just got.

How do you secure the roxul insulation onto the pipe? I'm thinking I want to go with roxul due to the price

You don't. Roxul is comes in batts meant for walls. You can stuff it around the liner at the top of the chimney, under the top cap and around the bottom of the liner above the damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.