question about red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i got my hands on a couple of cords of red oak.... been left in round for 2 yrs. now it was stacked on the ground 3 rounds high 3 rounds wide by at least 20 ft... covered with plywood and tarp on plywood... it seems like the outer ring that oak has is rotted out on just about every piece i split , i can understand the ones on the ground but the next 2 up? is this common for those of you who leave wood in the round for awhile?

tarps help trap moisture

bark helps trap moisture

The wood may have been cut in the spring when the sap was high. The sap wood (phloem) will rot fast when sugar content is high as bacteria will go after it in the wood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phloem

That's common for red oak I had some like that to.. It makes a mess but still burns great .. Big mess..

unknowingLEE said:
The sap wood (phloem) will rot fast when sugar content is high as bacteria will go after it in the wood.

I always thought Phloem was that green stuff I hork up from the back of my throat.

iceman said:
is this common for those of you who leave wood in the round for awhile?

Yes.
Covered or uncovered.

Short rounds and long logs.

Even when blocked up well off the ground.

I tend to split oak, cherry ASAP.

Red oak rots. White oak is highly rot resistant. It is still burnable, without doubt.

only the outside will be soft. I had some tops that laid on the ground for 8 years that are good in the center

do you guys try to take it off or just split as normal and burn it?

iceman said:
do you guys try to take it off or just split as normal and burn it?

splitt it most will just fall off

I've got some red oak and some white oak. Besides the God awful smell of the red oak, I can tell the difference as it dries. The red oak sap wood starts out lighter than the heartwood, but then turns darker to almost black and then the bark falls off. I've moved my woodpile to higher/drier ground, but it 1 year on the ground took its toll.

Red oak almost always rots a bit on the outer layer. No worry though, just burn it.

As far as the odor of red oak, I happen to be one who likes it. Actually there is very little wood that I don't like the smell of.

red oak almost smells like cheap wine. i like the smell.

most red oak i find in the woods is rotted about a inch in and good the rest of the way

unknowingLEE said:
LLigetfa said:
unknowingLEE said:
The sap wood (phloem) will rot fast when sugar content is high as bacteria will go after it in the wood.

I always thought Phloem was that green stuff I hork up from the back of my throat.

My biology teacher always said phloem-up, zylem-down.

Xylem zips up, phloem flows down - can't believe I remember that!

branchburner said:
unknowingLEE said:
LLigetfa said:
unknowingLEE said:

My biology teacher always said phloem-up, zylem-down.

Xylem zips up, phloem flows down - can't believe I remember that!

You're right some how i got that twisted around.

myzamboni said:

I've got some white oak that has a strong scent of vanilla. Wonderful. When it burns and I get a whiff of the smoke I start getting a jones for scotch or whisky. The red oak smells like vomit when 1st split.

btuser said:
myzamboni said:

I've got some white oak that has a strong scent of vanilla. Wonderful. When it burns and I get a whiff of the smoke I start getting a jones for scotch or whisky. The red oak smells like vomit when 1st split.
Ja, cheap wine makes me vomit. I don't like the smell of it either before or after.

well got my hannds on another 2 cords of red oak.... now this stuff has been sitting for 2 years in rounds ... no rot on exterior 24-36 in dia.... as soon as i moved then the beark fell right off, they had cracks in the middle from drying out ... some were drier than others but it should be ready to burn in a month or so.. some had termites in them but i was able to split around them.... but it was 2 free cords of red oak.. in the end... now i gotta go back to the guy that has the oak with some rot around the edges ...

i am happy my back yard is a mess but its just about all red oak!@..... i wish i could get some locust!....
will post pics tomorrow

split it, leave it outside under roof /tarp outta the rain for a while and it'll be fine to burn.
Oak burns hot.

Wet1 said:
Burn the termites too, extra btu! :cheese:

The screaming doesn't keep you awake at night ?

I have a small selection of red oak; it was mixed in with the pine rounds the previous owners left behind. The first inch or two is a bit punky. This stuff burns great though! I've been burning a lot of pine this shoulder season. I tossed in some red oak for the over night and the coaling was amazing vs the styrofoam pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.