Question About Sealant on Flex Lining For Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victor

Sep 11, 2008
Maryland
I'm going to install a Mount Vernon AE fireplace insert this weekend. I'm using a 4" flex liner in the chimney with a 3" flex piece off the stove and through the damper area. The Quadrafire instructions suggest using high temperature RTV silicone sealant on the pipe and attachment to the appliance. When I bought the lining kit the dealer sold me a tube of high temperature silicone sealant for use up to 450 degrees. Will the temperature where the 3" flex pipe attaches to the appliance remain below 450 degrees?

At Home Depot I saw some black LATEX sealant made by Rutland called Seal It Right. The tube states that it is a "Direct Vent Appliance Sealant" and it withstands 800 degrees. On the back it lists one of its uses: "seal pellet stove venting, blower". Quadrafire states to use RTV silicone sealant. Can I use this latex sealant on the vent pipe? I'm just wondering what the implications are of using latex sealer instead of the recommended RTV silicone for sealing the pipe. It seems the black latex is better to use since the exhaust shouldn't get anywhere near 800 degrees but might get close to 450 degrees. Is my concern about the temperature of the flex pipe at the appliance exit exceeding 450 degrees valid? Are there other problems with using a latex sealant?

Rutland also makes a 600 degree silicone sealant, http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=28 that I would prefer to use but I can't find any in my area.

victor said:
I'm going to install a Mount Vernon AE fireplace insert this weekend. I'm using a 4" flex liner in the chimney with a 3" flex piece off the stove and through the damper area. The Quadrafire instructions suggest using high temperature RTV silicone sealant on the pipe and attachment to the appliance. When I bought the lining kit the dealer sold me a tube of high temperature silicone sealant for use up to 450 degrees. Will the temperature where the 3" flex pipe attaches to the appliance remain below 450 degrees?

At Home Depot I saw some black LATEX sealant made by Rutland called Seal It Right. The tube states that it is a "Direct Vent Appliance Sealant" and it withstands 800 degrees. On the back it lists one of its uses: "seal pellet stove venting, blower". Quadrafire states to use RTV silicone sealant. Can I use this latex sealant on the vent pipe? I'm just wondering what the implications are of using latex sealer instead of the recommended RTV silicone for sealing the pipe. It seems the black latex is better to use since the exhaust shouldn't get anywhere near 800 degrees but might get close to 450 degrees. Is my concern about the temperature of the flex pipe at the appliance exit exceeding 450 degrees valid? Are there other problems with using a latex sealant?

Rutland also makes a 600 degree silicone sealant, http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=28 that I would prefer to use but I can't find any in my area.

You will be fine with either one.

Eric

How did the install go?

I am installing my Mount Vernon AE this weekend.

The install went well and I'm in love with this stove! I ended up using Permatex High-Temp Red RTV Silicone gasket maker, here is a link showing you what it looks like:

http://permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/42291/81160

I chose this since I couldn't find the Rutland RTV locally and the Permatex is rated to 600 degrees for continuous use. It's available at most every auto parts store and I got mine at Wal-Mart. I haven't had even the slightest hint of smoke smell. After installing the stove I noticed it looked the same as what Quadrafire used near the exhaust outlet. After installing the insert and making the connection to the appliance adapter I left it sit for almost a day to cure before use.

Status
Not open for further replies.