1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question about seasoning

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by CTBurner, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTBurner

CTBurner Member

Loc:
    SE CT
    I searched the forum, but did not find answer, So here it is, I am cutting green wood down for next year maybe 7 0r 8 cords, To season best I know to split and stack outside but I am thinking about putting down pallets in a large square, I have as many as I need, and then piling splits up like a pyramid by tossing in a pile. most of wood is oak , all is hardwood. which method is best for seasoning.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. brooktrout

brooktrout New Member

Loc:
    Hamden, NY
    I stacked ten cords this year, all on pallets. Mine are in rows, with a few inches of space between each row. It's good to keep the wood off the ground. The wood will season in a pyramid, albeit much more slowly. And oak, jeez, that'll take years just piled up like that. Stacking doesn't take much time- it goes faster than you'd think. worth the effort, in my opinion. Though there are plenty of people who just pile it up...
  3. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    The best method for seasoning any wood is to cut, split and stack it off the ground. Preferably in a sunny and well ventalated area.
  4. Jim in CT

Jim in CT Member

Loc:
    southern CT
    I haven't tried it, but years ago someone told me about what he called "super-heating" his wood.
    He said to stack up the wood on pallets, and wrap it up with clear plastic and stick a piece of pVC pipe thru the plastic at the top horizontally so the hot air could escape but rain couldn't get in.
    Think Ill do one that way and one just stacked up and compare them in a year.
    Will it get moldy in there?
  5. Scrounger

Scrounger Member

Loc:
    Rockford, MI
    I have had fungus and other stuff grow on a single row of wood stacked on a pallet. There is alot of moisture coming out of freshly cut and split wood. I think it will get moldy if you wrap it.
  6. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    Something similar has been tried:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_rn450.pdf

Maybe there's a better way:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WoodDrying/wood_kiln.htm
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.