Question about small pellets and "re-bagged" pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
I bought some Timber Heats from Lowes ( I left my review in a different thread) they're nice pellets for the price and I like them. When I opened this last bag I noticed there are some every small pellets in the bad. Since this is only my 3rd year with the stove I'm still learning. I was wondering the affect of small vs. big pellets. In other words is it better to have small pellets or big pellets? I do notice popping in the hopper is this from small pellets?.

My other question is that I keep hearing people talk about re-bagged pellets. What exactly does that mean? Is it the crap that they don't put in the good bags?

Small pellets usually burn faster if for no other reason than they fall true auger faster and some people have it getting their stove over feeding.

Oh and the rebagged? sounds to me like the ones from bags that were ripped open and swept up and dumped in bags?\\

Company buys quantity of pellets from manufacture and bags it under their own label.

Any time you switch brands or batches of pellets or notice a sizeable change in pellet appearance, you should readjust your feed rate to get the required flame size per your instruction book. With smaller pellets, you WILL have a hotter fire so you MUST readjust unless your stove can actually sense this change in heat output and readjust itself. Mine can't so I find the I have, in the past, gone from completely open to completely closed on my feed gate depending on the pellet manufacturer and pellet density and length.

Re-bagged is a mis-nomer…should be "private label". Nobody buys bagged product and rebags it… I'd say 99.9% of these pellets are bagged at the pellet mill just in a different bag.

My local dealer buys bulk pellets by the train car load and then bags them with their own brand bags. But very few dealers have those kind of facilities. Kinda like buying milk, soup, mac n cheese or any other consumer product at your local store. These products are produced by companies who package for many different customers all in their own labels.

Reactions: UMainah
This is the one thing I like about my stove- it automatically adjusts. I do go through smaller ones faster it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.