Question about splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Been a few days since I posted a dumb question, so it is about time. When you guy's talk about split sizes are you measuring around the splint or across. I am having a very hard time of getting my Rutland thermometer to go above 150 on the top of my Buck 91. I'm thinking I am not loading it to it's full potential. I have had the cat temp to 1500 but the Rutland does not go any higher. What am I doing wrong?

Again, many thanks in advance....

Sounds like a moisture content issue to me.
Rule of thumb: Kindling the size of your fingers & starter splits no bigger than your forearms.
After the starters have ignited then you can add your bigger stuff.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Also test your thermo for accuracy. Stove top thermos are notorious for being inaccurate.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
My Rutland was 75 degrees off as compared to my IR thermometer. While the Rutland was cold, I moved the needle all the way higher a couple of times to flex the spring and now it is pretty darn close to accurate now. YMMV.
I large split to me is 1/3 of a 12" circle sized log.

My Rutland was 75 degrees off as compared to my IR thermometer. While the Rutland was cold, I moved the needle all the way higher a couple of times to flex the spring and now it is pretty darn close to accurate now. YMMV.
I large split to me is 1/3 of a 12" circle sized log.

Maybe mine was in the same batch as yours then. I fell asleep after a night load the other week and woke up to right at 700!

I personally have the HF cheapo model. It works as well as I need it to. I have tested and retested the unit and it appears pretty accurate. Others have stated good things about models carried by Home Despot and other home stores. Northern Tool is also reported to have a version that works well.

But with all this said...To the OP, don't gloss over Daksys' comments. I agree that this could and most likely is a fuel issue.

Many thanks for all the replies. I will go get a get a IR tmrw and maybe another cheap Rutland just for the heck of it.

One more question, regarding the moisture. The wood I have bought was supposed to be shelterd and cut for over a year. I have it stored in my large garage. Would a Kerosene heater along the lines of a torpedo type heater help in drying out the wood? I am also confused on how to ID the different types of wood. I have seen that there have been many posts on this subject, but there is so much good info covered here, I cannot find a good posting on how to ID the different kinds of wood.

A link to that info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again......

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Been a few days since I posted a dumb question, so it is about time. When you guy's talk about split sizes are you measuring around the splint or across. I am having a very hard time of getting my Rutland thermometer to go above 150 on the top of my Buck 91. I'm thinking I am not loading it to it's full potential. I have had the cat temp to 1500 but the Rutland does not go any higher. What am I doing wrong?

Again, many thanks in advance....

I have a Buck 74 and 81 and both of them have a top sleeve across the complete top of stove for heating the air which exits at front above the door. This does not allow a true temp. measurement on stove top. I'm pretty sure your 91 has this same design. Try getting a temperature on the front of the stove above the door or bay window. My stoves will never get hot enough on stove top to boil water because of the air sleeve.

As for as the wood ID, it will come in time. If you look back a year from now you will be surprised at how much you have learned. I have a tree book and started on the trees on my land. I put a BTU chart on the wall in my basement next to my furnace so I would try to ID the split and then look it up on the chart until I learned them all.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Sounds like a moisture content issue to me.
Rule of thumb: Kindling the size of your fingers & starter splits no bigger than your forearms.
After the starters have ignited then you can add your bigger stuff.
Unless you have arms like Popeye

Reactions: DAKSY
You need to try the top down method of fire starting. Larger (not huge) splits at the bottom, medium next level, small and kindling, next. Add about 10-12 knots or tight balls of newspaper on top. You can throw some shavings, splitter debris, bark pieces etc in their, too. Light the newspaper. Give it plenty of air. You'll get an instant draft. The fire will work it's way down to the larger pieces and soon you'll have a roaring fire. SO, much better than beginning with a little Girl Scout starter kit and constantly adding more and bigger pieces.

There are lots of converts to Top-Down in this forum and none of us will ever go back. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.