Question about steam boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown9709

Jan 24, 2009
NW Oregon
First, a little background...

1.) My family has a hazelnut/walnut farm in Oregon, and we have our own dehydrator facility (process about 1000 tons/yr) We currently provide dehydration heat with Airstream brand propane burners (exhaust blown into plenum and used for dehydration) Peak output is about 4 million btu/hr. These burners are continually problematic for a number of reasons.

2.) Because it is a nut farm, we have access to significant tonnage of dry waste biomass (read: nut shells)

3.) Last year, I built a hot water boiler that burns these shells for heating my house and shop (I estimate peak boiler output @ approx. 200k btu/hr. Worked well last season, and with some changes I made this summer, working near perfectly this season. (by the way, many thanks from a lurker who learned a great deal from the many posters here) I'll try to get some pictures, and post some details about my boiler in the next few weeks.

4.) I'd like to scale up my design to provide the full 4mbtu to the plant, but as with any experimental tech, there are bound to be hiccups, and in this application, downtime is 100% unacceptable. Thus the need for a propane backup boiler.

5.) Which leads me to my question... (sorry for the long-windedness.) I have access to a 150 hp propane steam boiler (which I calculate to be about 5 million btu output). Can a steam boiler be "detuned" to provide hot (~200F) water? (would be closed system @ about 12-15 psi)

Many thanks!
-Jeff

Great Project Jeff !

What a win win situation.

What did you do with the shells before you built your boiler??

I'm sure you can make it work.

Can't wait to see the pictures. My type of project.

jbrown9709 said:
Can a steam boiler be "detuned" to provide hot (~200F) water? (would be closed system @ about 12-15 psi)

Many thanks!
-Jeff

Sure -- remove the steam controls and place controls for a hot water boiler operation. The question may hinge more on the condition of the old boiler--- The inside may be caked so full of sediment that is will no loner work well as a "detuned" heating plant. Chemical introduction and soak - heat and cool cycles - numerous washouts may resurrect the inside of the vessel so open that bad boy up and look.

How about sending the shells through a pellet like setup? A larger auger/crucible, but everything else should be the same. I bet a hog fuel boiler is built on those lines way.

Status
Not open for further replies.