Question about stove pipe install- Selkirk DSP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kipp438

Aug 30, 2012
Hi all, I am finally coming to the point of first fire in my new wood stove. I had another thread awhile back about chosing a stove. I finally went with a Drolet Escape 1800. Over the last week we finished the chimney install, poured the hearth and did the tile work behind the hearth. We set the stove in place and put the stove pipe on. The rest of the room isn't quite finished yet but I have been really anxious to be able to get the stove fired up with the first couple break in fires at least.

I am using Selkirk Supervent Chimney and their double wall stove pipe (DSP). I'm only using one peice, the long telescopic peice, 36- 62 inches or something close to that, which covers the span from the stove to the chimney adaptor. I'll have it secured to the chimney adaptor with screws, I'll also have the center of the pipe secured with screws, but it also says to secure the bottom of the pipe to the stove collar with screws. The problem is that the stove has two layers of sheetmetal on the top of the stove, which goes around the collar. The stove pipe fits perfectly over the collar and seats to the top of the stove. I dont see how to secure it to the collar without maybe drilling into the collar. The extra sheetmetal on the top would make it nearly impossible to secure the pipe using the pre drilled holes.(the pre-drilled holes in the pipe, there are no pre-drilled holes in the collar) Is this step really necessary? It is secure, it is held there by the screws holding the telecopic piece in a stationary position.

Here is a link to a picture that shows the top of the stove with a pipe attached, to get an idea of the sheetmetal I'm talking about.

http://www.fireguardfactoryoutlet.com/drolet-escape-1800-epa-wood-stove-nickel-legs-door/

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Having it secured at the middle (mandatory) & the top (optional) is good enough. If you have the slip pieces extended as far as they can go - up & down - nothing short of an earthquake should be able to knock them loose...

If I am correct the escape has the same flue collar as the HT2000 ( flush with the top of the stove or with a very small lip above the stove ). I used the telescopic pipe for one season but was not 100% comfortable the way it sat on the collar. I picked up a flush stove adaptor ( DSP6FSA-1). This way you can secure the bottom of the pipe to the adaptor ( adaptor slides pretty deep into the collar).

Well I stopped home briefly from work. All I remembered the manual saying about stove pipe was go by the stove pipe installation instructions. It does say that, however, burried further in the back, it says it should be secured to the collar. I took another look at the collar, with a flashlight. Its amazing what a little light will do. The collar has holes. I certainly did not see them before! They do not, however, line up with the stove pipe holes, so a little drilling is going to happen one way or another.

I'm going to try the telescopic pipe for now... seems to fit snugly. We shall see how it goes. Thanks as usual for the responses. I'll get a pic up of the final install when it is done.

We love pictures..

Glad you found holes. I think it's pretty normal for them to not line up, or need to be drilled in the pipe.. All three of the installs I have done were that way.

I am having a similar problem and would like to know what people think. The telescoping dbl wall stove pipe has three holes that do not line up with the holes in the stove collar. The outer layer of the double wall stove pipe fits pretty snuggly around the outside of the stove collar and will slide down until the indent if I don't secure it with screws to the collar. Any ideas or thoughts?

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the double wall stove pipe on the stove collar without any screws. The collar is up in the stove pipe up to the indent.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382279198948.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382279198948.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 814
You can either drill new holes in the pipe or do nothing. If the collar is up all the way to the detent, I can't see a problem leaving it like that, no screws. However, if no screws bothers you, just drill new holes there in the pipe. Easy to do, I did it on a short run of adjustable [Selkirk] I had to install for one of my stoves [see my avatar to the left there]. You just have to remove the screws to disassemble the pipe to clean it.

Hi, as the op I see I didn't follow up with what I did. I called Selkirk, they were very knowledgable and helpful. The lady told me that she recommends in my situation to secure the pipe in the middle, and if it fits snugly over the collar, just put the small screws in the pipe and lightly tighten to the collar, but not necessarily into the holes of the collar if it doesn't line up. In her words, something similar to the three screws that would secure a glass fixture.

I did that and it worked fine. But after I became more comfortable with the stove and after removing and reinstalling the pipe a few times for cleaning, I now just slip it over the collar and secure the other areas. It works fine that way.

Thanks kipp438.

The outer layer of the double wall stove pipe fits very tight. I would not be able to get screws in the existing holes. I suppose I could line up one of the holes and throw a screw in it. I think that would be better than what she suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.