Question about Tarm lower door leaking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbb123

Dec 6, 2007
Coxsackie, NY
I took a picture of my lower door does anyone have any idea why its leaking on side (paint burnt). Its doing it in same spot on hinge side of door. Took a picture of it open also in prime gasification mode.

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 535
  • DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 516
Looks to me like the door gasket is leaking. On mine, they suggest lubricating the gaskets with graphite lubricant. I haven't done it yet.

Looks like a gasket leak, but I'd do an incense test to see. It should be under negative pressure, though, so you shouldn't get gas coming out. Eric and I can both open our lower doors when it's running. Maybe the Tarm is different.

He's obviously got it going there. My guess is that when the flame hits that lower door, it's blowing out through the gasket.

Funny, a few years ago that would have been a "cigarette test" or some other smoke-based consumable.

Make sure you check under the door frame. I had to bolt door frame on the tarm i have. then the door went on. if the door gasket looks good its probably between the door frame and the boiler that is the problem.

Tarmsolo60 said:
Make sure you check under the door frame. I had to bolt door frame on the tarm i have. then the door went on. if the door gasket looks good its probably between the door frame and the boiler that is the problem.

Yeh I had to also its not that its the seal between the door and and the frame. There was some kinda epoxy between the frame and the boiler I think, its been awhile now. Im gona go do that "incents-cig test".

I just looked at my paperwork and it just calls it furnace cement. probably some good old fashioned furnace cement between the frame and the boiler would take care of your problem.

I checked with smoke its not leaking air, when I crack open the door it sucks the smoke in. I think I have to replace that gasket. I'll call Tarm, I called them on Veterans day to order a new ceramic and they got it to me the next day. Hey Tamrsolo60 we go fishing on Tupper lake every year we stay at that red roof hotel right by the lake.

bbb123 said:
I checked with smoke its not leaking air, when I crack open the door it sucks the smoke in. I think I have to replace that gasket. I'll call Tarm, I called them on Veterans day to order a new ceramic and they got it to me the next day. Hey Tamrsolo60 we go fishing on Tupper lake every year we stay at that red roof hotel right by the lake.

Good luck with the repair, I'm from Tupper Lake but moved to Piercefield (about a whole 3 miles away) about 4 years ago. Don't tell everyone about Tupper Lake, They will all want to start coming up.

Tarmsolo60 said:
bbb123 said:

Good luck with the repair, I'm from Tupper Lake but moved to Piercefield (about a whole 3 miles away) about 4 years ago. Don't tell everyone about Tupper Lake, They will all want to start coming up.

Hey, I lived in Saranac Lake almost all my life but moved to Saranac about 8 years ago. Almost took a Job at Sunmount, but stayed at DEC in Ray Brook.

I have the Tarm 40.

Eric

Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's leaking from behind the frame. your picture is verbatim of mine.

I'm going to remove it and repack the furnace cement around the frame and re-install it.

Eric

EricV said:
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's leaking from behind the frame. your picture is verbatim of mine.

I'm going to remove it and repack the furnace cement around the frame and re-install it.

Eric

Yeh it was the furnace cement between the frame and the boiler. It was all missing I also had a couple inches on the top door missing to EricV might wanna check that also. Eric Johnson you were talkin about a greenhouse I figured out a new use for my storage tank.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    1.4 KB · Views: 395
That didnt work new picture editor.

Attachments

• DSC_0061-1.JPG
    DSC_0061-1.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 387
I was curious if those leaking combustion tunnel doors were like that from the get go or gradually developed the leaks over time. How long have those boilers been in service before the leaks developed?

Thanks,

Mine has been burning 24/7 for 2 years this is my third winter. They just started leaking this year its the stove cement they use to seal the door frame to the boiler dried up and fell out. Took about 20 minutes to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.