Question About The Glass ......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo

Jan 27, 2009
Northeastern, N.J.
This is my second year with the stove, and I'm really enjoying it. This year I can burn 10 hours a day for a whole week, and not even then do I have to clean the glass. But when I do clean the glass, the very light film comes off effortlessly with a damp paper cloth. I could literally clean the glass with my pinky finger....lol

But last year, I got a caked film on the glass that would take me 15 minutes to clean with special glass cleaner and a lot of elbow grease. There is no doubt my wood is drier this year, and I'm sure that's the main difference, but my wood wasn't that bad last year. Could some of the difference be the stove was new and the glass was having a break in period ? Maybe a new SS chimney doesn't draft as well as one with some usage ? The difference is really night and day..... it amazes me ..... and also getting to look into the box and see the whole fire is a great part of the experience.

My guess is that after a year's experience you have better burning habits and that contributes to your cleaner glass.

Learning to burn hot + burning with more seasoned wood = cleaner glass. I suspect most second year burners (who have made sure they are burning seasoned wood in year 2) will tell you that there is a world of difference when it comes to keeping the glass clean . . . and yes . . . I really like being able to watch the fire . . . even now I sometimes turn off the TV just to zone out and watch the flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.