Question about the Morgan Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott3865

Oct 24, 2008
Acton, MA
I just got a new Hearthstone Morgan and everything is working well, but the blower has yet to kick on?
I've read through the manual pretty well, but all it says is "see blower instructions" which it didn't appear to come with. I figure it is supposed to get to a hot enough temperature then kick on automatically if I have it plugged in direct. I'm still waiting.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I recently obtained a new Morgan as well. My blower didn't work at first either. Are you hearing a buzz as though the motor is trying to do something? That is what happened to me, it buzzed, but no air flow. I called the dealer and the service guy knew exactly what it was. Apparantly there is a design defect and the wires get crossed or something and the fan will not come on. He moved the wires out of the way and tied them together. Actually he did that on the second call. After the first one the blower worked for about 2 days before going out again. So far so good since the second repair. If it goes out again the dealer is going to try and get a new blower unit under warrantly from Hearthstone.

I also have a problem with blower noise. If the air control is loose it will vibrate a lot and make a loud sound. Since tightening the air control it is better. I still think the sound of the blower is off. Instead of being a steady buzz it changes in pitch and just doesn't sound right. It's kind of hard to describe. It is much quieter than the 70/80's vintage insert I had replaced, but I wish it would just make a steady noise, so it would just fade into the background.

Other than that I am pleased with my Morgan. It creates good heat, with less wood than my old insert. It also generates much more heat with the blower off than the old insert ever did, which will be nice to have if the power goes out.

The blower on my stove kicks on once it the stove temperature, as measured by an IR thermometer targeted on the window, is at approximately 375 or 400 degrees.

However, I'm experiencing the same problem as flamencogirl, where the blower isn't pushing much air. Your description of what the happened at the service call is going to come in very handy, as I just phoned the dealer today to request them to come look at it.

I ended up calling the place I bought the stove and had someone look at it on Monday. When he pulled the blower unit out, one of the wires was disconnected and had been pulled apart. He replaced the connector, put it back together and tested it out. There was a buzzing at first that he figured out was because the wires were rubbing on part of the spinning mechanism. Once those were pushed further to the side the buzzing went away. It's been working great ever since.

I did hear some buzzing a couple times when I was re-loading the stove and the door was open, but then it went away once I closed the door. I figure if it gets "buzzy" again I'll open it up myself and see if the wires are rubbing.

The blower on my stove makes a consistent noise and isn't too bad at all. I like the stove a lot so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.