Question about thermostat control on Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Defiant Encore model #0028. In the manual it talks about setting the thermostat lever to either the low or high position.. its attached to a steel cable which moves the rear air intake door to closed or open. There is a spring on the control, so it seems like operation would be automatic. However, the manual takes about being able to move it to either high or low.

The control moves freely and it seems to be in working order, so when I let go of the lever, the door moves back to the closed position. Is this right, or should I be able to set it to open when needed and have it stay there (until the stove heats up)?

I just want to make sure before I put it all back together.

that is correct. closed position. There is a probe in the combustion cat combustion chamber, that you should use fine steel wool and clean it off. Remove all traces of fly ash accumulation on it. It should look shiney after cleaning.

Is that the "Secondary Air Probe Assembly" (item 63 on the diagram)? I'll take a look. I checked the thermostat coil and rod assembly and everything seems to be moving freely.

You have come to one of the hardest parts of rebuilding that stove. And you will want to make sure you have it right before you cement the stove together. The spring is a tensioner. (NOT the bi-metal spring - the little coil spring that goes at the end of the control rod). The idea is that the control will be pushed toward the outside and the set screw will then be tightened to keep the tension. It is very easy to get the cable on the wrong side of the control post. While the stove is cold the primary control handle should allow you to pull the air inlet door open. It should not fall closed when you release the handle. When the stove warms up the bi-metal will close the door a little. You control the overal rate of burn by where you place the handle. There is a little diagram on the stove itself. An open hole for "open" and a closed hole for "closed" (clever, huh?)

Do you have the rebuild manual or are you only refering to the owners manual? There is a complete service manual for that stove. PM me if you don't have one. I don't have them ready to go and they are intended for factory service technicians but I may be able to scan a few pages if that will help.

BTW, the secondary probe is not the same. While it has a bi-metal thermometer it does not attach in the same way as the primary control.

Status
Not open for further replies.