Question about tile strength

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adk4

May 27, 2008
Adirondacks
Hello all,
We are going to have a Jotul Firelight 600 installed. The floor is cement and we are going to put tile over the cement for the hearth. My question is this.....Will 13 x 13" tiles withstand the wieght of the woodstove, or will the tile be likely to crack under the legs of the stove?
This tile is from Lowes and was very inexpensive.

If you don't think this tile will work, is there a particular type/brand we should be using?

TIA,
Shawn

If you're laying the tiles right down on a nice flat concrete floor, and you properly spread the thinset adhesive with the correct size notched trowel, and work the tiles into the thinset as you lay them, maybe even a few taps with a rubber mallet, then after it's all completely set, you should have no problem at all with tile cracking. Give the thinset about a week to completely cure before grouting, just to be sure it's all become "one" with itself. If you're still worried, then spring for some porcelain ceramic tile, which is about as hard as it gets. Rick

When I had an indoor wood stove, I had it sitting on tile which was over drywall and plywood. I couldn't see spending all that money for a pre-made floor protection pad. I used liquid nails to glue the tiles to the drywall. They only time the tile cracked was when I dropped a heavy metal poker on it. It had a heavy brass handle that had a ball on the end and it killed the tile. I even scooted the stove on the tile when I would clean the pipe.
Anyhow, I think you would be just fine with tile, especially since it is over concrete. I would keep some extras though in case one does break.

Depends on the tile size. You say you're setting large tiles (13" x 13"), so I'd think you need something like a 3/8" x 3/8" notched trowel. It'll say on the thinset packaging. If you do a Google search for something like "installing ceramic tile", you'll get about a half million hits of sites where you can read about it for the next 4 years. Or you can go pick up an inexpensive "how to" book at most any hardware store. It's not a difficult thing to do, but then, like everything, it's not difficult to hose it up either. I'm not a pro, but I've installed a boatload of tile on floors, walls, countertops, whatever. Good luck! Rick

dumbodog00 said:
When I had an indoor wood stove, I had it sitting on tile which was over drywall and plywood. I couldn't see spending all that money for a pre-made floor protection pad. I used liquid nails to glue the tiles to the drywall. They only time the tile cracked was when I dropped a heavy metal poker on it. It had a heavy brass handle that had a ball on the end and it killed the tile. I even scooted the stove on the tile when I would clean the pipe.
Anyhow, I think you would be just fine with tile, especially since it is over concrete. I would keep some extras though in case one does break.

liquid nails and drywall are both combustible and shouldn't be used in high heat locations..

13x13 tiles should be fine, use thinset on hardy backer if you need underlaying

fossil said:
If you're laying the tiles right down on a nice flat concrete floor, and you properly spread the thinset adhesive with the correct size notched trowel, and work the tiles into the thinset as you lay them, maybe even a few taps with a rubber mallet, then after it's all completely set, you should have no problem at all with tile cracking. Give the thinset about a week to completely cure before grouting, just to be sure it's all become "one" with itself. If you're still worried, then spring for some porcelain ceramic tile, which is about as hard as it gets. Rick

+1

Unless you drop something on it, the tile should be fine unless you leave a gap in the thinset. Our local Home Depot has a great class teaching you how to do it so I would think Lowe's would too.

I bought some VERY inexpensive tiles form lowes for my hearth pad. I think it was around $.70 /sqft, or something like that. Keira Beige, I think was the color.

The tiles are 1/4 inch thick. I was a little worried at first, but they're doing just fine for me.

My hearth pad frame was constructed with metal framing studs. I put down 3 layers of durock over the studs, and then put the tiles down. It's plenty solid.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
I bought some VERY inexpensive tiles form lowes for my hearth pad. I think it was around $.70 /sqft, or something like that. Keira Beige, I think was the color.

The tiles are 1/4 inch thick. I was a little worried at first, but they're doing just fine for me.

My hearth pad frame was constructed with metal framing studs. I put down 3 layers of durock over the studs, and then put the tiles down. It's plenty solid.

-SF

This is almost word for word exactly what I did too, over hardwood. If you're over a slab, you'll be just fine. Use something like Versabond thinset mortar from HD or whatever fortified/modified thinset mortar Lowes sells (Laticrete or Mapei). DO NOT use plywood, drywall, liquid nails, or ANY pre-mixed tile adhesive inside the clearance areas specified in your owner's manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.