Question about tiling around my insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
I am going to replace the tile that make up my hearth. I'm also probably going to tile over the brick on the fireplace around the insert. My wife likes the small glass looking tiles. Can these tiles take the heat? Any advice on which materials to use? IE porcelain or stone tiles, Thinset, tile glue, grout, etc? Any input would be great. Thanks.

I have tiled and installed natural stone on my brick fireplace. Porcelain tile, thinset, sanded caulk type grout. No issues whatsoever. The hottest it gets is about 115° directly above the insert.
I don't think temperatures simmilar to these will be an issue for any type of tile.
No experience with glass tile.

Attachments

• 000_0053sm.jpg
    000_0053sm.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,012
I had quite a nasty looking blond brick fireplace that just wasnt going to cut it. Wife hated it.. we thought about painting, but choose to tile over it with slate. We cut the tiles in four strips to have a more "stone look". Due to weight and height, i hammer drilled into the brick and used 1/4" tapcons to hang metal lathe. Then used a thinset that has a consistency of hydro cement. Much easier to go vertical with that stuff then standard thinset. I still have to grout, but an almond sanded grout will round out the job.

Glass should be fine, but id shy away from glues and epoxy type grouts. Go with more classic tile materials since its near the stove. Youd hate to go through all that work to watch glue melt and tiles start to slip off, or runny grout.

Good luck.

I used masonry mesh on the old bricks. Mudded it, since you're using tiles you will have to mud very smooth and straight. This may not be the best method for what you're trying to do.

Maybe tapcon some cement board on top of your existing surface then lay your tiles? The only thing with that is it will bring your insert forward a little bit if your installing your tiles behind the insert overlay. Food for thought.

Most inserts don't seem to heat up the hearth like a woodstove does, as the heat is carried away by the blower air. I can touch every surface around my insert with it running full blast- so I wouldn't think the glass would be an issue. (YMMV with your particular insert)

Adios Pantalones said:
Most inserts don't seem to heat up the hearth like a woodstove does, as the heat is carried away by the blower air. I can touch every surface around my insert with it running full blast- so I wouldn't think the glass would be an issue. (YMMV with your particular insert)

X2 and I put thinset right over the beige rough surface brick my fireplace was constructed of, no mesh, tapcons, or anything else.
I did have to use some painters tape to hold the larger pieces on the vertical sufaces. I used 18x18 floor tile cut to size on those surfaces as well as the horizontal surfaces. I'd suspect wall tile will go right on without any issues.

Mines not hot hot, but can get quite warm to the touch, maybe thats just the slate. To each his own, i like to air on the safe side. Mine floor to ceiling and some quick math would put the added weight between 700-1000lbs. Most of that is in shear too. Not saying its needed, but that could be called a right way of doing things.

Looks better no matter how you attach however, all can agree with that.

mine gets pretty toasty directly above.

That Osburn 2400 is pretty awesome.

I used porcelain tiles. Those glass tiles were pricey. but very cool. we looked at tons of them.

Stump_Branch said:
Mines not hot hot, but can get quite warm to the touch, maybe thats just the slate. To each his own, i like to air on the safe side. Mine floor to ceiling and some quick math would put the added weight between 700-1000lbs. Most of that is in shear too. Not saying its needed, but that could be called a right way of doing things.

Looks better no matter how you attach however, all can agree with that.

True, and the condition of the existing bricks/mortar plays a role. My first impression is that the tile will more likely fall off the thinset rather than the thinset/tile will fall off the bricks.

My hearth/fireplace is set on the wooden floor framing and is attached to the masonry chimney outside, sitting on a footer. The framing is held up with 2 cinderblock columns and an I beam in the basement, directly under the hearth. I have no frost or settling issues, and had no "live cracks" in the brickwork, so I opted to go right over the brick.
If the OP has issues with his current set up as is, he will need to evaluate whether or not to use wiremesh or other means to do the job correctly.

The mason that built my fireplace was very good at masonry but terrible at flashing.

I have found most good masons fall short in some other areas of carpendry as well. Still wish i knew how though.

Thanks for all th4e great advice, guys. I'm thinking realistically I won't get to this until September, but i want to keep an eye open for discount tiles and material.

I'll post pics when i get it done.

Ketensage, looks great. Thanks for the pic.

mecreature, the 2400 is awesome. I love it. It really cranks out the heat. Do you have any experience with burning in it?

D, if I remember, your fireplace is brick?

We covered brick with ceramic tiles, I'll ask the Dixette what she used.

The area over the firebox gets warm, but nothing that scares me. Even with a raging case of "The Revenge of BB" going on with 850 temps on an insert >:-(

Here's a batch of fireplace tiling links I gathered a while back. It's good to shop for a nice deal on tile, but maybe try to get a premium line of tile that has been discontinued if possible. There is a quality difference between a cheap tile and a decent one. This can be especially important on a hearth where inevitably an occasional log is going to be dropped. A solid porcelain tile should stand up much better than a porcelain coated tile on the hearth.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74514/

BeGreen said:
Here's a batch of fireplace tiling links I gathered a while back. It's good to shop for a nice deal on tile, but maybe try to get a premium line of tile that has been discontinued if possible. There is a quality difference between a cheap tile and a decent one. This can be especially important on a hearth where inevitably an occasional log is going to be dropped. A solid porcelain tile should stand up much better than a porcelain coated tile on the hearth.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74514/

Begreen thanks a ton. These links are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.