Question about using indoor, pre-fab fireplace outside:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendellonthepatio

Jul 3, 2015
Nevada
I have planned to install a Desa GM36 prefabricated fireplace outdoors, on an exterior wall facing a patio, and the building department questions putting an indoor fireplace outside. The fireplace is a decade old, but new. Desa is out of business, the dealer is no help. The literature tells me that it complies with UL 127-CAN/ULS-S610-M87 as a Factory Built Fireplace, but makes no reference to it being for indoor or outdoor use. In the proposed installation, the chimney will pass through the roof overhang, and a patio cover extends the eave 24" beyond the face of the fireplace. The fireplace is to be enclosed in tile-backer board and porcelain tile.

Any guidance? Specifically, what I need is something to show the building department that this is covered under the UL-127. Or your advice to not do this at all.

Thank you for any input.

I would think a major concern would be the unit rusting out. Heat + steel = rapid oxidation, aka rust. Though maybe in your dry climate this is less of a concern? Here is a link to the manual. It appears to be UL-127 tested.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/38887/Desa-V-Gm36.html

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 2.33.09 PM.png

Last edited:
The fireplace manual doesn't help. It doesn't even say that the fireplace in indoor or outdoor, only that it is safe when installed according to the manual.

I wonder about the moisture issue. That is the only thing I can see that would be different. Though in my proposed installation, the steel box will be entirely encased in concrete tile-backer board, under a wide overhang, and raised above the snow. And it will have a masonary firebrick liner. Outside combustion air should be no more moist than interior air--and the instructions allow for bringing outside air into the firebox for combustion anyway. I plan to use a gas log, should that make any difference.

I was hoping to learn whether the UL-127 covered both inside and outside fireplaces, or if outside fireplaces fall under a different chapter. If outside fireplaces need to comply with a different chapter, I clearly cannot use this product.

Fortunately, I have someone ready to take this fireplace from me, so I'm not stuck with using this. I simply want to do the right thing. Fortunately, too, my building inspector is one I can have a conversation with without it becoming a battle.

Download the manual for the Monessen ODSR36A ODSR42A. There are special design considerations like the hearth slope, separation from building envelope, etc.. that need to be observed for an outdoor unit that take into account a moist environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.