1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question about venting a pellet stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ed Churilla, May 14, 2013.

1. Ed Churilla

Ed Churilla New Member

Loc:
    pittsburgh PA
    I just bought a used Englander 25-PDVC with 3" exhaust. I've been using a woodstove and have an existing chimney with 6" triple wall with an 18' rise up the exterior of my house. I have a T at the bottom with a cleanout and the horizontal entering the house within 3' of the stove. What is the best way to handle the install? I know that the chimney always needed to be warmed in cold weather before it would draw properly. Does the 3" exhaust for the pellet need to go through the T to the outside chimney, or can I cap and reduce it at the interior T and exhaust like that? Thanks in advance--

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

Your best solution would be installing a 4" chimney liner inside the 6" pipe you already have. After 15', 4" is recommended over 3".
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

I used the 8" stove pipe after I sold the wood burner. My 10-cpm (and the Astoria before it) went directly into that using a 4" to 8" adapter and a couple other pieces. Total height is about 20'. Works fine

Attached Files:

4. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    [​IMG]

Duravent 3PVP-X8

http://www.amazon.com/DuraVent-3PVP-X8-Chimney-Adapter/dp/B002OG1A4S

Your new install will be pressurized so drafting will not be an issue....you may find you have too much draft under certain conditions and may have trim the blower on the stove or increase the feeder to keep up on low burn rates.

Installing a 4" liner in the triple wall is a PIA as the top and bottom connections have to be fabricated. IF you find you just have too much draft you can always go that route later on, but 18' isn't that high really.
    Delta-T likes this.
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

The very best solution is the Selkirk DT pellet vent to class A metal chimney conversion kit. I am working on an install this week with it.
    This will draw the OAK air in from the outer wall of the class A and warm and dry it! It is a very nice system!

They have two kits, one for 10" OD and one for 8" OD Class A pipe, PC (Private Conversation) me for more info.

Attached Files:

6. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Hey Don, according to the OP, it's triple wall pipe, betcha the OD is about 15 inches.
  7. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    EDIT: on my post...I posted an adapter for 8" but it's 6", the correct adapter is 3PVP-X6
  8. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Correction: Copperfield HomeSaver FBLA adapter system measures 15 5/8" and allows for a fairly seamless integration of a liner within the walls of double and triple wall systems, depending upon the overall OD of what you have. Page 15 in the 2012 catalog, have to go through a professional though, they don't sell to homeowners.

FBLA.jpg
  9. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

10. Ed Churilla

Ed Churilla New Member

Loc:
    pittsburgh PA
    Thanks for the replies--I've attached a pic of what I have inside presently. I intended to get a 6" to 3" reducer and run it from the stove like that. My biggest concern was the draw, having had to prime the flue with my woodburner.
    P1010001.JPG