Question about venting a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Churilla

May 14, 2013
pittsburgh PA
I just bought a used Englander 25-PDVC with 3" exhaust. I've been using a woodstove and have an existing chimney with 6" triple wall with an 18' rise up the exterior of my house. I have a T at the bottom with a cleanout and the horizontal entering the house within 3' of the stove. What is the best way to handle the install? I know that the chimney always needed to be warmed in cold weather before it would draw properly. Does the 3" exhaust for the pellet need to go through the T to the outside chimney, or can I cap and reduce it at the interior T and exhaust like that? Thanks in advance--

I used the 8" stove pipe after I sold the wood burner. My 10-cpm (and the Astoria before it) went directly into that using a 4" to 8" adapter and a couple other pieces. Total height is about 20'. Works fine

Attachments

• Astoria 1.jpg
    Astoria 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 777
11p8J9A1JrL.jpg

Duravent 3PVP-X8

http://www.amazon.com/DuraVent-3PVP-X8-Chimney-Adapter/dp/B002OG1A4S

Your new install will be pressurized so drafting will not be an issue....you may find you have too much draft under certain conditions and may have trim the blower on the stove or increase the feeder to keep up on low burn rates.

Installing a 4" liner in the triple wall is a PIA as the top and bottom connections have to be fabricated. IF you find you just have too much draft you can always go that route later on, but 18' isn't that high really.

Reactions: Delta-T
Hello

The very best solution is the Selkirk DT pellet vent to class A metal chimney conversion kit. I am working on an install this week with it.
This will draw the OAK air in from the outer wall of the class A and warm and dry it! It is a very nice system!

They have two kits, one for 10" OD and one for 8" OD Class A pipe, PC (Private Conversation) me for more info.

Attachments

• SelkirkDTchimneyConversionKits.jpg
    SelkirkDTchimneyConversionKits.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 152
Correction: Copperfield HomeSaver FBLA adapter system measures 15 5/8" and allows for a fairly seamless integration of a liner within the walls of double and triple wall systems, depending upon the overall OD of what you have. Page 15 in the 2012 catalog, have to go through a professional though, they don't sell to homeowners.

FBLA.jpg

Thanks for the replies--I've attached a pic of what I have inside presently. I intended to get a 6" to 3" reducer and run it from the stove like that. My biggest concern was the draw, having had to prime the flue with my woodburner.
P1010001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.