Question about venting over A/C unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
I'm thinking about installing a stove in my basement this summer. I've been looking for a good spot and trying to figure out the venting.

My question is - Do you think the heat pump fan blowing air up will affect the stove in any way?

Untitled.jpg

I would use a exit cap on a 90 degree - not one that is pointed downward.
fyVMtP8A

Hello

The standard clearance diagram I attached below states you must be 3 feet away.
F Minimum 3’ clearance from any forced air intake of any other appliance.

Click diagram below to enlarge

Attachments

• PelletStoveVentClearancesDiagram.jpg
    PelletStoveVentClearancesDiagram.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 97
I think that the air blowing upward past the cap would tend to increase the stove's draft - sort of like a Venturi action.
You might put a deflector on the heat pump so the air would blow away from the house.

Would both be operating at the same time?

If not I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Otherwise angle your vertical portion towards the corner of the house just enough to get away from being right about the heat pump unit.

Would both be operating at the same time?

If not I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Otherwise angle your vertical portion towards the corner of the house just enough to get away from being right about the heat pump unit.

Yea, it's right above my upstairs heat pump. I don't generate enough heat with my downstairs pellet stove to heat the upstairs to a comfortable temps. So i supplement with the heat pump. The other unit to the left stays off all winter.

Good idea on angling the vent away. The vent pipe would come out real close to the edge of the heat pump, so that should take care of it..

Hello

The standard clearance diagram I attached below states you must be 3 feet away.
F Minimum 3’ clearance from any forced air intake of any other appliance.

Click diagram below to enlarge

I'm not sure my outside heat pump unit would be considered a forced air intake? But it would at least 3' above the unit anyway.

Englander 25-PAH from AM/FM Energy.

It will be used to heat my insulated daytime basement/garage that is about 1,000 sq ft. Any heat that finds its way upstairs is a bonus.

Currently I have a 5,000 watt 220v electric heater down there that I use.

timber-ridge-55trpah-259x300.png

Reactions: smoke show
I'm not sure my outside heat pump unit would be considered a forced air intake? But it would at least 3' above the unit anyway.

Probably not. They are probably talking more about intake into the house. I would double check with mfg. though.

Status
Not open for further replies.