Question about wood moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace

Oct 8, 2011
Prescott, AZ
I just scored 3/4 cord of oak for free. It is not the same species that you guys from the Midwest or East coast are used to. It's much smaller and twisted. Any how it has been sitting bucked up for approx 1 year. The climate from where I am from is very dry with little humidity compared to back East. It seems very dry and when splitting it, it pops and splits like dry wood. How do I tell if it is dry. It has been through about 3 months of 100 degree weather with little rain. Most of the logs were approx. 6-10" in diameter. I have about 4-5 big rounds that are 12-18"....any knowledge would be helpful!

If you have any experience burning you can usually tell by the feel, look and sound of the wood. That said a $12 moisture meter from Harbor Freight will remove all doubt.

Bucked up is usually not good enough for larger pieces, gotta split the rounds. I inherited a 5-6 yr old stack of locust. It still bubbled and hissed when split and tossed on the fire.

jatoxico said:
If you have any experience burning you can usually tell by the feel, look and sound of the wood. That said a $12 moisture meter from Harbor Freight will remove all doubt.

Bucked up is usually not good enough for larger pieces, gotta split the rounds. I inherited a 5-6 yr old stack of locust. It still bubbled and hissed when split and tossed on the fire.
This is my first wood stove ever! So aside from burning pine on the camp fire during elk season, this will be my first time burning wood for heating my home. Thanks for your help. I will get a moisture meter!

Wallace said:
jatoxico said:

This is my first wood stove ever! So aside from burning pine on the camp fire during elk season, this will be my first time burning wood for heating my home. Thanks for your help. I will get a moisture meter!

I think it's a good move. I bought one and found it pretty handy since I scrounge and am always running across wood where I don't know exactly when it was cut or it's dead standing stuff that I have no idea when it died.

Besides when you are trying to figure things out objective measurements are invaluable. Pick up a stove thermometer while your at it, can be had for $10 or less.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out oak can season in a year in Arizona. I'd try burning some and see how it goes. With experience you would be able to tell how dry it is based on how it burns. If it lights up fast, not water hisses out the ends, and the fire stays hot and lively even after you load in some fo the oak, it probably is dry.

That said, I agree a moisture meter is more precise.

I would (did) skip the moisture meter. Knock splits together. They either sound like real wood baseball bats knocking together, or they're waiting for next year ; )

I suppose the moisure meters are selling to the young folks who've been forced to use aluminum bats ; )

ATB - as long as it works for you & yours.

Mike

The MM's are great for newbies and us old farts who like new toys.

What kind of stove are you burning in? Or is it just an open fireplace? If the wood feels really light for its size, it could be dry enough to burn.
Since you are new, I would go along with most of the others and get yourself a moisture meter. There's not a Harbor Freight within 75 miles of here but there's a Lowe's to be found pretty much everywhere. Lowe's sells a meter made by "General" that a lot of us have. Cost about $30 unless you can catch it on sale. Shoot for a moisture content in the lower 20 percent or lower.

Your smaller pieces might be close enough to burn once they are split. I know in the Prescott area you should be getting nights cold enough to burn soon. I hope your wood is good for you but keep scrounging. You might find something better to burn in the near future if your oak's not quite ready yet.

Wallace, just an FYI... Oklahoma summer 2011 was death valley. I have some oak cut & split in April reading anywhere from 12-20% with the MM. Granted, the wood was split fairly thin, but none the less I was amazed at the reading. I could hear the bat hit the ball tossing it around but I just had to confirm it to convince me.
--Bri

zzr7ky said:
I would (did) skip the moisture meter. Knock splits together. They either sound like real wood baseball bats knocking together, or they're waiting for next year ; )

I suppose the moisure meters are selling to the young folks who've been forced to use aluminum bats ; )

ATB - as long as it works for you & yours.

Mike
I've had wood that sounded like baseball bats and it was stuff I had just cut with a high moisture content.

Status
Not open for further replies.