Question: Can I have a pellet stove in a room with an exhaust fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CigarCave

Jan 28, 2009
SE PA
I recently added a media room/cigar lounge to my home. The room is attached to the back of my home, but shares no air with the house. (Outside entrance) I have an exhaust fan (1000cfm) for the cigar smoke and when I run it, it creates serious negative pressure. I do not have a fresh air vent supplying the room yet, I just crack a door or window for now.
A pellet stove would adequately heat (over heat) the room so I could tolerate a cold air draft while running the exhaust in spurts, but can the pellet stove tolerate the negative air pressure? Is it unsafe? Are there units that are sealed well enough? Is an outside air vent system adequate for this situation?
Thank you in advance.
Dave

From what you're describing, the negative pressure in that room will definitely have an effect on the operation of any pellet stove, not in a good way. The stoves rely heavily on an internal "negative" pressure (vacuum) as well for it's very operation. One of the many safety systems built into pellet stoves is a vacuum switch that ensures that this "negative" pressure exists, and if it does not, the stove will automatically shut down.

The very best thing you can do is provide an OAK (Outside Air Kit) designed specifically for your pellet stove. All the combustion air for your stove will be handled by this OAK - in the OAK and out the exhaust. This ensures perfect operation of your stove and will have no effect whatsoever of your current air flow in that room. You'll note that ALL pellet stove manufacturers recommend, and every state that I'm aware of require and make it mandatory that an OAK be installed for every pellet stove installed in a mobile home - because they are so air tight.

A pellet stove with an OAK working on a programmable themostat would work perfectly for you in your situation. The OAK is a MUST.

Steve

My Englander 25-PDVC manual states that the stove must be placed at least 20 ft from any central heating cold-air return located in the same room as the stove. This would of course be for the same reasons discussed, but I think it's overkill if you have an airtight seal around all stove openings (hopper, firebox door, exhaust pipe, etc.), and in your OAK system piping. It would also assume the central heating blower is operating at the same time as the pellet stove, or at least that the stove had enough smoke inside to cause a problem at the time the central heating blower comes on, creating vacuum in the room through the cold air return.

Smart question. I think the answer is it must be at least 20 feet away or more the outside exhaust. Otherwise, it can suck exhaust back into the house from the positive pressure of the outside exhaust and the negative pressure around the stove.

Mark :)

Thanks so much for the replies.
Learned:
1. OAK is a must, I will not cut corners.
2. Stove will be 20 ft from exhaust duct. (this will force me to close one of two openings in the winter, no big deal.)

Are there stoves (brands/models/types) better suited for "tight seals", or better OAK set ups to consider? Are there any to avoid?

I know of local dealers that carry Quadra Fire, St Croix, Breckwell, Thelin, and Enviro. I'm sure there are more.
The salesmen have been too intent on selling me a stove, and less convincing they know about my concerns.

Thanks again.

Trust a salesman to do nothing beyond cashing your check!!!
Ask for customer names in your area and ask those folks about the operation of their stoves and most importantly, the service they've gotten from the stove rep.s with any issues they've had with their particular stove. If the salesman balks at this request, walk away as fast as you can. It's very important you be proactive in this respect, the proof is in the number of posts here from those that have been caught unawares.
Good Luck.

Would love a cigar room in the house, not gonna happen though! Any other cigar aficionados here? Dave any recommendations for a good mild to medium bodied smoke?

CigarCave said:
Thanks so much for the replies.
Learned:
1. OAK is a must, I will not cut corners.
2. Stove will be 20 ft from exhaust duct. (this will force me to close one of two openings in the winter, no big deal.)

Are there stoves (brands/models/types) better suited for "tight seals", or better OAK set ups to consider? Are there any to avoid?

I know of local dealers that carry Quadra Fire, St Croix, Breckwell, Thelin, and Enviro. I'm sure there are more.
The salesmen have been too intent on selling me a stove, and less convincing they know about my concerns.

Thanks again.

Many of Quadrafire's OAKs have been reported to be overly expensive and difficult to install. I am still on the fence about trying an OAK on my stove... If an OAK was important to me while shopping I would make sure that the unit had a simple fitting on the back of the stove for OAK attachment.

I am told that my stove would require a gasket to seal it to the floor and also the OAK kit which enters the back of the unit and supplies air to the area underneath the stove...

seige101 said:
Would love a cigar room in the house, not gonna happen though! Any other cigar aficionados here? Dave any recommendations for a good mild to medium bodied smoke?

I work for the Oliva Cigar Co. We have the best smoke for your buck in our Serie G. It's mild/medium - medium. You wont find a better tasting, better rated, cigar under $5. Ask any tobacconist for Oliva Serie G, then just pick your size.

I'm going to visit another stove dealer today and see if he has any idea which of his models have a tighter sealed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.