Question concerning stove pipe angle through thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davsm55

Oct 28, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hello all, I'm new to the list and requesting some assistance re-installing the stove pipe to my Consolidated Dutchwest. I've used the wood stove consistently in our house for the past 5 years without a single issue until this past winter when around the thimble this black liquid (occasionally) started dripping down the stonework from the thimble. This summer both the chimney and the stove pipe were thoroughly cleaned (3/4 inch of creosote on the inside walls of the stove pipe). I am now in the process of re-installing the stove pipe and my question is... Does the horizontal section of stove pipe that enters the thimble (10 inch thimble, 16 inch pipe, 6 inch diameter) need to be:

1. On a slight decline so the black creosote condensation runs down into the chimney.
2. On a slight incline so it runs down the stove pipe into the stove.
3. Level - The cause of the black liquid leaking from the thimble was the 3/4 inch of creosote buildup in the stove pipe.

I'm leaning towards level, but figured I would run it by the experts.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

3/4" of creosote ? You're a lucky man. 1/4" of creosote is dangerous.
A slight incline up to the thimble is desirable to help the exhaust go up the chimney.
Horizontal is not good. Downhill is bad.
Don't plan for creosote running down. You should clean your chimney way before that stage.
Clean at least once a year. More often if burning less-than-dry wood or choked fires.

#2, smoke needs to go uphill all the way. The direction anything else runs is secondary.

Many thanks to Brian VT and BeGreen for their expert advice. My manual documented that smoke needs to go uphill when installing the vertical section of stove pipe, but I was focusing too much on resolving the condensation issue. Anyway, the wood stove is a 1990 Consolidated Dutchwest with the catalytic combustor, which has worked great. In the past I have only used hardwoods that have been well seasoned (taken from my land) which didn't quite produce 1/4 of buildup every 2 years (NC winters not as cold). However last year was the first time I purchased (so called) seasoned wood that obviously had a higher moisture content.

Thanks again, wishing you a warm winter with a lower fossil fuel bill.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.