Question... converting log splitter to electric?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dolmen

Jun 12, 2008
Hi everyone,

I recently took the notion that I need a log splitter, I'm in the UK, and can get a good deal on a log splitter that works of the tractor hydraulics, as my grey fergie diesel has no fittings, and is a bit old for all that, I was wondering if? how? and what I'd need to convert the splitter to electric and get similar power as you would from a tractor.

here is a pic of the type of splitter, your opinions would be appreciated ....

http://www.malone-engineering.com/logsplit.htm

Cheers

;-)

Sorry I thought I'd posted this thread in the Hearth room, please move if required.

Having spent many of my "formative" years plowing with a Ferguson 9N I just can't see how you could do it with the tractor either.

As to electric it would be cheaper to get a PTO driven splitter.

Being that the tractor was the source of power, you will have to replace that source. Replacing with electric will require a pump (2 stage) and electric motor that is "matched". Stating that a different way, you wouldn't match up a 16 gpm pump with a 2 hp electric motor, simply wouldn't pull it. A hydraulic tank (and I suggest a filter) will also need to be added.

The Ramsplitter mfg. makes some pretty neat electric/hydraulic splitters, I would suggest reviewing their website to find the appropriate "match" for pump/motor sizing compared to your ram size (diameter of ram). This will give you an idea of how the components (ram, pump, motor) match up for performance as well.

Thanks folks, I'm not at all geared to this, thats why I'm sorta stuck. I'll have a look at that site and see if I can get any info. I measured the ram and its 20'' x 4'' and I don't know how to match up the pump to an electric motor.

Cheers

;-)

Having spent many of my "formative" years plowing with a Ferguson 9N

Not to hijack the topic but i've never heard of a Ferguson 9N...i've only known them as a FORD 9N (and 8N, etc.). I thought those were 100% Henry. I've learned something new today. But yeah, working ground with one of those is a slight step above using a horse and a plow.

As for converting your splitter to electric....why electric?. That seems to me to have limiting features (have to be close to electrics to operate it, can't be raining or wet when you operate it, weight of a proper sized elec. motor, etc.). Why not gas?. There are plenty of pump/engine combos out there you can buy over the counter. Just sayin'.

I think the Ferguson was originally a TE-20 or something like that. Henry and Fergie did some kind of partnership deal and Ford started building the 9n based on the original with some improvements. Later Henry II trashed the agreement. My grandpa had the Ferguson and farmed pretty much his whole life with it after he sold the mules. The tractor was born the same year I was.

dolmen said:
Thanks folks, I'm not at all geared to this, thats why I'm sorta stuck. I'll have a look at that site and see if I can get any info. I measured the ram and its 20'' x 4'' and I don't know how to match up the pump to an electric motor.

Cheers

;-)

Suggestion: Look at the website again, and concentrate on the splitters with the 4" rams. Now, check the specs for HP and GMP ratings on the components they are using. That should give you a real good starting point to work from. If you look at petrol splitters, take the HP rating of the engine and roughly divide by 2. That is the ~hp that an electric motor will need to be to run the same pump.

Example: 4" ram with 16GMP pump and 8hp engine = ~4 hp electric (or greater)

Note: you may have noticed that I use "approximate" in several places. Not all electric motors are created equal, and once you get your approx. specs figured out, a little more home work may have to be done for the power plant (electric motor).

Thanks again folks, you've been a great help, I'm miles ahead of where I was earlier ;-)

My Fergie is a TE20 from 1947, she has to sit out in all weathers (shame on me), I do intend someday to get her all tidied up and put a roof over her.

I was looking at the electric over gas as it was a cheaper option or so I thought, still have the gas option if its cheaper.

Thanks again

Cheers

;-)

Just to keep those interested in the pic...I managed to track down a guy that worked out for me what I needed in a pump and electric motor, its not gonna work on my single phase electric supply, so it looks like its gotta be an engine.

Cheers

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.