Question Duct Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I just exchanged the heat exchanger on my new to me gas furnace, and while I was at the store, I asked about insulation the duct work.

They have two types of insulation. A foil backed bubble wrap, and a paper backed fiberglass. One guy said the bubble wrap had twice the r-value, the other guy there said they had the same r-value. They both said the bubble wrap stuff is better, because you don't itch while installing it. It costs 176.00 for a 4' by 100' foot roll. The fiberglass is about 40 dollars cheaper. I'm looking probably three rolls.

Which one is better to use? How much of a heating difference can I expect? The current ductwork runs through an unheated basement and an unheateed crawl space.

Are there any better alternatives?

Thanks

Karl

on a gas furance i would go with the cheaper one,i used both on my wood furance it gest hotter so you need the foil to with stand the heat

smokinj said:
on a gas furance i would go with the cheaper one,i used both one on my wood furance because it getts hotter so you need the foil to with stand the heat
and the other on my gas furance that doesent get as hot

That's what I thought. I understand they're creating a dead air space but I still find it hard to believe. I know 6 1/4 of fiberglass bat will give you r-19, so maybe 10" of dead airspace will give you r-17. Here's what they say about the testing. I think I'll email them for a copy of it.

Tests are performed to current American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards when a standard exists. For a copy of an actual test report, please e-mail us at [email protected] or call at 800-879-3645.

Status
Not open for further replies.