Question for a Biasi owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardin52

Mar 28, 2008
A farm in Maine
I've been burning wood for 35 years and am starting to look at burning pellets and wood. My pellet boiler guy says get a Biasi and he will mount a pellet burner on the door.

After looking at a Biasi they sound like a poor wood boiler but they would make a great pellet boiler. The problem with them is the fire box is surrounded by water so the fire is not hot enough which makes for a lot of creosote. I know where I can get a used one at a good price so I'm thinking of a little retrofit to make it a better wood boiler.

I'm thinking of separating the fire form the heat exchanger. There are a couple ways to do this I think. One way is to put a steel plate on the grates leaving space in the front for draft and putting fire brick or steel on the sides up a short ways. Another idea is putting a steel box in the boiler (bottom sides and top) leaving the front open for loading and draft. With a little work I should get a hotter burn and less creosote This should make a hotter burn and then the secondary burn above and heat exchanger should still do it's job.

I have a Memco MW 100 now and did about the same with that years ago. I'm open for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.