question for a police officer here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
O.K. I have a question for the officers on here.
What is the acceptable manufacturers operational temperature range for a laser radar gun??? ex. 32f-140f?? the reason I ask, is I used this as a defense to a speeding ticket this week, and no one was able to challenge it. Background.
I was clocked at 55 in a 45 zone. The officer was on a motorcycle and the temp was
-21f that day. Yes he was a brave soul. So in researching the operating range I came up with above freezing up to 140f. I asked the officer in court and he did not know so I showed my research and the judge dismissed the case. Stunned the officer, judge and prosecuting atty that I thought off this. Actually the only reason I did was in my line of work I work with calibrated equipment out side and there are temperature limitations.
Now obviously if he was in a cruiser this would not of worked, so it is a unique situation. Not many motorcycle officers are going to be out in that weather.
Also the reason I was so persistent in finding out the answer was I had my cruise set at 47, yes still speeding but in the safe zone. Yes really 47.
So do any of our officers know different or is this correct

Reactions: vinny11950
I'm just so impressed that he wasout thrre at all. I whine when its 40 and my chin gets numb.

he is there everyday, hence the reason I set my cruise at 47.

Would probably depend on make/model of unit. Ours say operational range for unit is -22f to 140f. I don't know if it would affect it or not. Good defense! Not sure why you were cited for 10over? Bad area? Hard azz officer? Pretty cold to be on a bike though.

Would probably depend on make/model of unit. Ours say operational range for unit is -22f to 140f. I don't know if it would affect it or not. Good defense! Not sure why you were cited for 10over? Bad area? Hard azz officer? Pretty cold to be on a bike though.

thanks, if I was sitting on the roadside at -21 I would probably write them up for 5 over so I could move around some.

I retired from a Sheriff's Department 3 years ago. There's no way I'd have wasted my time at -21°F, standing outside, clocking traffic from a motorcycle! Let alone writing tickets at 10 over. I say good for you on getting it dismissed! Just a tip, if you have a GPS you might want to compare your speedometer to the GPS. There's a big difference between an indicated 47mph and a citation for 55mph. Over sized tires on your truck? Cold weather on his electronics?

I did not think that lasers were affected by temperature. I am radar trained and it doesn't mention temperature ranges for accuracy. Simply the cosin effect (lateral distance between you and the moving vehicle).

It is not the laser per se but the effect of the cold on the electronics reading the laser

I retired from a Sheriff's Department 3 years ago. There's no way I'd have wasted my time at -21°F, standing outside, clocking traffic from a motorcycle! Let alone writing tickets at 10 over. I say good for you on getting it dismissed! Just a tip, if you have a GPS you might want to compare your speedometer to the GPS. There's a big difference between an indicated 47mph and a citation for 55mph. Over sized tires on your truck? Cold weather on his electronics?

Speedo is off -2 mph, from what I found it is in the electronics of the radar gun, that is why I challenged it

Reactions: Swedishchef
All I know is that this is awesome and I will keep this ace up my sleeve! It's a good call and a fair challenge.

As others said, what the heck was he doing outside running laser in those temps? Must have been bored...

I would have told the judge that my brakes didn't work and I was rushing home to fix them.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaDave
As others said, what the heck was he doing outside running laser in those temps? Must have been bored...[/quote]

It's Ohio, they like to give tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.