Question for Harman Advance owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kzad

Nov 25, 2005
Killingly, CT
I have a question about the way one window smokes up on my Advance...I posted a picture at bottom. I get this pattern only on that side window, always, with-in an eight hour period. I showed my dealer the picture, his response was to consider myself lucky it's only the side window.

Anyone else have a window smoke up like in this picture, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Kyle

Attachments

• DSC00004last.JPG
    DSC00004last.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 648
When you are burning on low all pellet stoves get dirty quickly.

The Harman Advance has a large glass surface and does get dirtier than other smaller glass Harmans like the P61 or P68.

It's still a very good stove.

I'd be very happy if my pellet stove burned that cleanly.

When I owned a Harman P61, I cleaned the glass once per month. With my new Harman XXV I have cleaned my glass twice this season. As I recall, the Advance was cleaned at least once a week.

I have a harman Advanced and the same window gets dirty, I clean it about twice a week. It takes about 5 mins to clean the window.

Darryl, you and I corresponded five years ago about the Prometheus. I would up dumping my wood stove and going with a Harman P61A. In any event, what the hey is up with pellet prices this year? Are we being gouged by dealers, is it transportation costs, are your costs up, ???? I like your fireside ultra pellets, but can't find them anymore.

As a previous post stated, the Advance has a very large amount of glass area for the air wash to keep clean. The Advance was "tweaked" last year to improve the "tiger stripes" or "sharks teeth" pattern that was common. The pattern you describe is typical for the current model.

FWIW, this is a classic "engineering tradeoff." You can have perfectly clean glass, but you have robbed the fire of so much air, that efficiency suffers. You can have a rip roaring fire, but no one would ever see it because there is no air to "wash" the glass and keep it clean.

Another compromise is to not seal the front glass & let room air wash the glass. Then when you have a power outage, smoke leaks into the room.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's not that cleaning the window once a day is too much work for me, I just wanted to determine if there was something simple that could be causing it...It seems stange that the other two windows can stay clean for days, but that one can't stay clean for eight hours. My dealer is a one man shop, I can never catch him there (always on deliveries) and doesn't seem to be one for returning phone calls. Soooo I'm left with my owners manual and (luckily) this forum to learn how to best run this thing.

I had a Harman Advance that I replaced with a Harman P-68 recently. My Advance glass got dirty the exact same way yours does.

richg said:
Darryl, you and I corresponded five years ago about the Prometheus. I would up dumping my wood stove and going with a Harman P61A. In any event, what the hey is up with pellet prices this year? Are we being gouged by dealers, is it transportation costs, are your costs up, ???? I like your fireside ultra pellets, but can't find them anymore.

This year (2006) the prices are doubled since 10 years back. This mostly due to the freight cost associated. Still beats blowin #2 and #1 home fuel oil

Oh yeah That's normal, after such a short burn though? My advance takes from two days to a week to fog like that depending when it was last cleaned. One thing I know on mine though is that the clinkers always and I mean always are heavier on that left side than on the right... Could be related.

Status
Not open for further replies.