Question for Mainers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
I know there are several people on here that have purchased pellets from SIB in North Jay. I just started this year. Does anyone know if he offers any spring/summer deals, or reduced prices on multiple ton purchases?

I've bought a few (16 total) ton from him but couldn't tell you if he runs specials. I got all of my pellets at the per ton price in effect when I ordered them. The last order I had was for 11 ton back in the spring of 2011.

Thanks Smokey. Like everyone else, I'm just trying to save a buck. I expect his prices will be going up with the price of gas going skyward.

If you like, go to his web site and toss him an e mail. His prices have changed a little over time. In 2010, he was $200 per ton delivered, then he went up some. Still can't figure out how he turns a profit when he transports them so far without getting charging more for delivery. lots of places around here are asking the same price, but you transport. He will sell to you ten bucks less if you pick up from him. I plan to order from him after I finally force my self to use up my remaining stock held over for two years. I know if I get them before I get these other pellets used, I'll cave in and use the new ones.

I know you asked for input from the mainers, But I get a little insider stuff from time to time. Seems we have a little bit of overage in certain area's and its possible to see some lower prices than expected this spring. The overage is mostly from the warmer than normal winter. I can't say for sure it will happen up there, But call it a heads up and so be ready to spring if they do arise.

We are seeing some quick sales down here in CT. Kind of earlier than we normally see. A couple of brands have some serious discounts where others are only marginal. I expect to see a few other dealers having sales and spring deals. From what I see down here, The price discount is anywhere from $20 to $60 off per ton. One dealer has even offered an extra $10.00 off if you take delivery now.

Couple examples are Maine Choice regular price $$239/ton sale price $199/ton. PowerHouse regular price $269/ton sale price $199/ton. There are a couple more as well. And another pellet house has started with a couple of price reductions on some of their brands.

I do think we'll see a spring deal, But I really don't expect the deals to be as low as last seasons. I have heard some mills will hold their prices firm and will offer little if any spring price drop. So it could be hit or miss depending on what brand your looking for. Nothing firm and lots of if's.

Anything in the tea leaves about what will happen to the biomass market (pellets, wood) if this stirring with Iran goes much further? I don't like being paranoid, but somehow it looks like there are forces stacking the deck to make a big play to shore up higher oil prices which will, no doubt, have a significant impact on alternative energy.

save$ said:
Anything in the tea leaves about what will happen to the biomass market (pellets, wood) if this stirring with Iran goes much further? I don't like being paranoid, but somehow it looks like there are forces stacking the deck to make a big play to shore up higher oil prices which will, no doubt, have a significant impact on alternative energy.

If market hits the skids like 2008? You'll see stoves sales rocket, stoves and pellets supplies may plummet. What has steadied the market so far is the increase of NG conversions and market expansions. The gas people want a cut of the oil weening. Plus many tried the pellet route and it wasn't for them, So they want a no touch/no mess heat source!

I do expect pellet price increases to skyrocket from the rising fuel cost. It still takes energy(both electric and petroleum) to make our precious pellet fuel. Not to mention the cost to truck them too us! Some of the pellet dealers have warnings about the delivery fees and pellet prices because of the possible chance they could increase. But they have had them since the 08 fiasco!

I am glad I have a stove that can burn things besides pellets. All my eggs are not in just the pellet basket! Even if I don't need to stray from pellets, Its just really nice knowing I can if things go in the chitter!!!

Europe is on the skids, oil prices will come down.

Europe is already weening and heading to biomass. China is the new guzzlier! Don't think they have any issues and are the biggest reason gas/oil is rising due to their future hording!

just placed my order for 6 ton of mwp blend from sib.

looking at 4 ton or less per year usage.
want a 6 ton surplus at all times eventually.

so next year i'll likely buy 6 again and the next year 5.
then just four a year.

hopefully pellets remain the lowest of everything but lp (which i can't get) and filbert shells (which i also can't get)

as long as they are cheaper than oil, i guess that's the bottom line for me.

St_Earl said:

then just four a year.

hopefully pellets remain the lowest of everything but lp (which i can't get) and filbert shells (which i also can't get)

Didnt wait to see if he has a spring sale huh?

mepellet said:
St_Earl said:

then just four a year.

We'll have to cut him some slack, He is a bit of a rookie. I jumped the gun my first few seasons. Takes a bit to get the patience for some.

j-takeman said:
mepellet said:
St_Earl said:

then just four a year.

We'll have to cut him some slack, He is a bit of a rookie. I jumped the gun my first few seasons. Takes a bit to get the patience for some.
lol. I am just as much a rookie as him. I am trying to hold off for a sale. Haven't bought a bag of pellets since September. I've had the shakes since october.... ;-)

mepellet said:
j-takeman said:
mepellet said:
St_Earl said:

then just four a year.

lol. I am just as much a rookie as him. I am trying to hold off for a sale. Haven't bought a bag of pellets since September. I've had the shakes since october.... ;-)
:lol: patience grasshopper! ;-)

I know the feeling. I have a ton being delivered tomorrow from SIB. It's not the same though as loading them in the truck and hauling them home.

St_Earl said:

Is he going to haul all 6 in one trip?

subsailor said:
St_Earl said:

What does he show up to your house with? Will he put the pallets inside a garage?

mepellet said:
subsailor said:
St_Earl said:

What does he show up to your house with? Will he put the pallets inside a garage?

i believe he can fit 6 on his flatbed with lift-bed.
he brought 4 last time and i'm almost certain there was plenty of room for at least two more.
he puts them by my back door. then i schlep them to the basement.

my thinking is i won't see a better delivered price. and i just want to get mine in for next season (plus two extra to hoard) and be done w/ it.

if i have made the wrong choice, i will have learned something.

but i have to choose one way or another. and this is how it will be this year.
big box (or really shopping anywhere) is not an option for me. as i have no truck. and the closest thing to a big box is walmart in lincoln. 50 mile round trip and i have a subie outback :p

St_Earl said:
mepellet said:
subsailor said:
St_Earl said:

my thinking is i won't see a better delivered price. and i just want to get mine in for next season (plus two extra to hoard) and be done w/ it.

if i have made the wrong choice, i will have learned something. :p

I don't think you made a bad choice at all. With the price of fuel, I'm surprised that SIB hasn't raised his prices before now. Plus Lowes is playing games with their pricing and I haven't seen any pellets at HD or TSC that I would buy. I plan on buying MWP's myself, just not 6 ton at a time.

I don't think the price of the MWP could drop that much if any. But if it were Barefoots for $300/ton and they dropped to $250/ton. I'd be a little sick to my stomach!

j-takeman said:
I don't think the price of the MWP could drop that much if any. But if it were Barefoots for $300/ton and they dropped to $250/ton. I'd be a little sick to my stomach!

About the only super premium pellets we see up here are Okies and Cubex, some Spruce Pointe and now La Crete, and I'm not aure the last 2 qualify as super premium. I don't see the price of any of them coming down much if at all.

St_Earl, do you see any Northeast Pellets up your way? They were pretty good before the fire. They are selling them in Augusta, but I won't pay the price.

J- What do you think the price of Le Crete will do this spring? SIB has them for $289 per ton delivered. SMRF is $309 plus delivery.
I am not sure how SIB does it but I can not imagine SIB reducing his price much on these when SMRF is $309, why would he? And as you said his MWP price is already good, so I am not sure waiting will matter much with these two pellets.. Your thoughts Wise Old (meant only in terms of pellet experience) Owl....

LMPS said:
J- What do you think the price of Le Crete will do this spring? SIB has them for $289 per ton delivered. SMRF is $309 plus delivery.
I am not sure how SIB does it but I can not imagine SIB reducing his price much on these when SMRF is $309, why would he? And as you said his MWP price is already good, so I am not sure waiting will matter much with these two pellets.. Your thoughts Wise Old (meant only in terms of pellet experience) Owl....

I could only guess, So don't shoot me if I'm off! You could see somewhere in the range of $20 to $40. Some could be slightly more(kind of doubt that though!). Some of the economy brands will have a lower discount. They are already scratching the bottom. MWP will be very small discount, "if" any at all!

The discount depends on the dealer(how much they purchase) and what discount the mill is offering them. It also depends on what the mill has for inventory. Large inventory=larger savings. Small inventory= little to no savings. Some dealers only purchase a few tons to a hundred tons. Their price break would be low compared to a dealer that delt in 1000 tons. I have also heard some mills are not offering much if any of a price break. I would not expect much(if any) of a discount from the mills that road out the year with limited supply. And some mills have excess supply due to the warm season.

oldmountvernon said:
tell the mills ill takem all @ 100$ per ton Cameras rolling for the next convoy :coolsmile:

I can hear the mills laughing at that offer from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.