Question for other stoners.. Pics Added..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you did want to wipe it down with an oil, I'd recommend that you use grapeseed...it has the highest "smoke" temp of just about all organic oils. I'd definitely stay away from synthetics or petroleum products.

Highbeam said:
I also understood your original question. I have exeperience with the stone kettle too.

So you may have noticed that your kettle is not polished like your stone. It is rough like a woodstock. I thought I could polish the kettle to a shine with super fine steel wool, you can't. My kettle did not come with directions either.

Well... my kettle IS polished as well as the stove stones.. but it sure didn't come that way. Glad we didn't get a woodstock if that is how they come. We consider the stove part of the furniture in our living room..

It was a pretty rough turning when unboxed. 20 minutes or so in the sink with some 320/800/1000 wet/dry sand paper and it's smooth as a babies...

Cool! I was hoping the steeel wool would do it. Nope.

I might try some glue, I'm afraid that the leak will become a full blow out at 3 am.

I ordered that steamer a 2 years ago. I followed the directions about oiling and baking, but, only to the inside of the steamer for 2 reasons. I didn't like the dark look of the steamer once it was oiled (compared to the light color of my stove..... see avatar) and I didn't want the oil getting discoloring the top stones of the stove.

In the end it didin't matter. I stopped using the soapstone steamer..... not as efficient as the old porcelain covered cast iorn steamers. Also it is harder to look inside to find the water level. So is is sitting in my garage.

Rick D

Status
Not open for further replies.