Question for PE super series owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
I currently own a Hearthstone Homestead. I am very unhappy with it. Considering replacing it with a Fusion. Looking at the four color diagram of the firebox I cannot quite tell exactly how or what kind of air intake system the stove employs. I wish they showed a photo of the inside of the firebox. Actually, I wish all companies did that.

The Homestead employs what some here refer to as a "doghouse" or "zipper" intake at the bottom of the firebox; basically a three inch protrusion of steel with three holes in the front which the air moves through, which basically torches a tunnel through my load of wood, leaving chunks of dead coal left and right. Also, I have become literally sick (headaches now) of getting smoke in my face when I open the door, as smoke glides up the pitched roof of the firebox and right out into the room as I load the stove. The Fusion seems to have the same frontal exit for smoke, though with a flat topped firebox roof.

Does the Super series have a "doghouse" air intake, and has anyone had trouble with smoke exiting the stove through the door?

They must all be at church this morning.

The Fusion is built on PE's flagship Super Series firebox, along with the Super 27, Super Steptop, Spectrum, Classic and Alderlea T5. I own one (16 years), and have sold hundreds. This design has shown no tendency to smoke into the room. Primary combustion air enters the firebox down a chute that spans the top of the door opening, so the air flows across the inside of the glass to keep it clean. "Boost" air at coal height is provided by a row of holes that span the bottom of the door opening, pointing straight back.

I can't remember from your other thread whether or not you installed a 6" stainless liner in your 8 x 8 masonry chimney, but that needs to happen.

The Super series (same as the Spectrum, Fusion and T5) all have the same firebox. It's almost square and allows for N/S loading of the wood. Smoke spillage is not an issue unless there is poor draft. The front airwash lip does a good job of containing the smoke in the box. The wood burns fairly evenly across the pile, but it does burn a bit quicker in the middle where the majority of the baffle air holes are. (They are arranged in an T pattern). The stove doesn't have a doghouse, but does have a boost manifold at the base of the fire to promote even burning. It works quite well. For a 2 cu ft stove, this series manages to give some very impressive burn times.

Hey thanks, I appreciate the replies. I also got a good report from CO2neutral, whose thread inspired the choice to get the Fusion.

I did install a 6" liner and added another foot and a half to the chimney.

Let me know when you want me to run down there and get that smokey mess of rock out of your house for you. :coolsmirk:

Well, BrotherBart, it's on Craigslist now. $1700.

Interesting you say "mess." The fact is, even if this stove burned perfectly for me, it is very messy. Because the doghouse burns a tunnel through the load I constantly see logs collapsing and sending wood above them falling forward where they burn right against or at the door, so when the door is opened ash just spills out more than any stove I have owned.

Plug the doghouse holes and see if it helps. Oh yeah, never mind, I think I already suggested that awhile back.

Yeah, BrotherBart also said to throw bolts in the holes and see what happens, but ultimately the list of things I don't like about the stove, plus it isn't heating the house very well anyway, necessitate another unit replacing it. But I will place some bolts in the holes to see if it makes any difference.

I agree with all that has been said so far. My T5 doesn't have smoke issues, and is VERY easy to operate. Unfortunately all I can get ahold of is pine in these parts, but still get pretty good burn times considering. It does a very good job heating my 1500 sq ft tri-level, but requires the blower the colder nights. I don't have experience with any other stoves so for whatever it counts for I think you would be very happy with that firebox.

REF1 said:
I currently own a Hearthstone Homestead. I am very unhappy with it. Considering replacing it with a Fusion. Looking at the four color diagram of the firebox I cannot quite tell exactly how or what kind of air intake system the stove employs. I wish they showed a photo of the inside of the firebox. Actually, I wish all companies did that.

The Homestead employs what some here refer to as a "doghouse" or "zipper" intake at the bottom of the firebox; basically a three inch protrusion of steel with three holes in the front which the air moves through, which basically torches a tunnel through my load of wood, leaving chunks of dead coal left and right. Also, I have become literally sick (headaches now) of getting smoke in my face when I open the door, as smoke glides up the pitched roof of the firebox and right out into the room as I load the stove. The Fusion seems to have the same frontal exit for smoke, though with a flat topped firebox roof.

Does the Super series have a "doghouse" air intake, and has anyone had trouble with smoke exiting the stove through the door?

Why are you unhappy with the Homestead and how much will you ask for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.