1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Question for Quads

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by jensent, Oct 11, 2010.

1. jensent

jensent Member

Loc:
    central Ill
    Coming home from Elcho, Wi. today I noticed crops being irrigated beside US 51/ I-39 near Plainfield. Sign on the building that I noticed next said Centralsands NAPA. Figured that area must be your "neck of the woods". What are they watering a this time of year?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Plainfield is about 25 miles northeast of me. Central Sands NAPA is a service center, and I think they do sell a few parts there. I used to be the manager of the NAPA in Adams, years ago.

It's hard to say what they were watering, but we haven't had any rain in weeks, so they may have just been watering the cover crop (rye usually). The wind really blows across those big fields, so if they don't get the cover crop growing right away after harvest, all the topsoil blows away. And if the wind was blowing at the time they were watering, they might have just been keeping the dust from blowing across the interstate. The last rain we had was when we had all the flooding! Then none after that. I can't even remember now the last time I saw a cloud......
  3. jensent

jensent Member

Loc:
    central Ill
    Quads
    Thanks for the reply. It makes sense now that I think about it. A fellow from Iola told me that 40yrs ago they couldnt give some of that ground away. Then someone found out that if you watered it you could grow vegetables like crazy. Saw many trucks loaded with potatoes on this trip.
    When I was a kid 50 years ago my folks took all day and then some to drive from Ottawa to Elcho. Now with Interstate highways my wife and I make the trip in less than 5hrs.
    Tom