Question for sawbuck users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
I'm cutting my first big load of firewood. I have 10-15 cords in one big disorganized pile.
So I made a sawbuck this morning and used it for about 3 hours. I am very happy with it.

I have 4 X's and I spaced them 18" apart. Everything is screwed together in case I decide I don't like the way it is made.

So 2 stupid questions -
1. Where do you usually cut, right next to the x (as close as to the x as possible) or in between two x's (about 9" from each x)?

2. When I get down to a 25" - 35" piece of wood, the wood is sitting on two x's. When I cut in the middle, the piece often binds itself up because the wood collapses on itself.

Any tips on using the sawbuck would be appreciated. I've never cut this much wood before, and never used a sawbuck. Thanks everybody.

Typically you'd cut off the end so the piece of wood falls on the ground. Take a couple of pieces of 1 by something and line the inside of the v chanel with them on each side. Then put a couple of eye bolt on the inside of 4x that you cut near. Then you can use a bungee to suspend the log out so instead of trying to cut in the middle, you only have to catch the last 5-6 inches of the log to make the cut in half.

I let the wood overhang both ends. I cut around 3 inches away from the X. When I make the last cut in the middle one side falls away while the other side falls toward the cut but it never binds the saw.

I prefer to cut close to the x. Usually when I use the sawbuck the wife helps so binding is no problem.

Thanks everybody. I'm the engineer type with no common sense. Some times I need some help figuring out the easy things.

I might try the bungee thing...
I don't know why I didn't think of your suggestion LL. That will certainly stop it from binding.

I was cutting today for a while and the dog was helping. Every time I'd put a new log on the sawbuck I'd throw the ball for the dog a few times. It broke up the monotony. He eventually quit and went and laid down in the snow. I had a Sam Adams or two. Dog, Beer, Chainsaw, and some Work. Does life get any better?

On my first ever sawbuck, I ended up cutting in the middle. It is about 4 ft wide. I'd planned to cut off of the right end (I'm right- handed). After ruining my first OEM safety chain cutting into a drywall screw in the end of it, I rethought things and looked for where there were no fasteners I'd run the chain into. It became obvious the very middle made sense in my case. My sawbuck is made from 2x4 uprights with both 2x4 and 2x6 cross members. It is reinforced enough so that the big, wide notch in the middle of the "V" doesn't matter. So I always cut into that jagged, sawed notch in the middle now.

One change I think I need to make- I need to shorten the front top of the right "X" member before I go and get careless and touch the spinning chain down on it- could cause kickback(?) But I'm slow and methodical working with it, pretty careful. I noticed I make sweeping motions holding the running saw in my right hand, moving left to right across that member every time I grab a just cut round with my left to pick it and toss it. Sometimes the chain hasn't stopped spinning. I need to keep thinking about the safety aspect of what I'm doing. I'd no doubt be safer cutting off of the end. BTW I'm talking small diameter logs here. For bigger stock, I end up putting the saw down on a safe spot on the ground between cuts (inefficient!) I need both hands to throw the bigger rounds.

I also want to figure out a fast action 'keeper' system to clamp on the log from the left side. That would be safer than having at times to put my left foot up on the log to restrain it. That's potentially creating balance hazards. Heck, it would be a lot easier and safer with a helper, but I'm having to work alone. The safer I can make it, the happier I'll be. Some times I think I'd be better off just sawing on the ground above other logs, but that's too low and is tiring; it also risks running the chain into the ground if I get careless.

I use an elec. 12" saw to cut poles w/my sawbuck. Am able to use 1 hand and hold the pc being cut w/other. Usually the size is 2-4" however I have held onto and cut off round as large as 8. Just let them fall freely to ground, or floor of barn.
(first post, great site...have learned tons)

My sawbuck uses an 1 1/4" pole as a center axis, with the three middle "dogs" adjustable so I can cut smaller cuts, also have a rubber bungie attached to secure smaller pieces if needed.
Hank

I do have a few of those heavy, black, rubber bungees. Will try that next time I use my sawbuck. Good idea.

Sounds like we've got the same buck. 4 X's mine is spaced 17" apart because 18" is the max I can handle. I line up the first piece with the end and then cut right before the second X, then move down an X, etc. Haven't had one bind yet. They just fall down between the X's and after a few build up then they just fall and hit the ones and I grab and throw them on a pile. Maybe not the most efficient, but it works much better than no buck at all. I'll post a video or pic when I get back to cutting (it's at my dad's house).

I would love to see some pics, I am a visual person so I have a hard time picturing what people are describing. I had to buck up a bunch of medium sized limbs recently and I made a stand out of some pallets screwed together, but had a hard time with the last cut balancing on the end, definitely needed a bungee or something.

pulldownclaw said:
I would love to see some pics...
If you search this forum for sawbuck you should see lots of pics. I posted a pic of mine a while back before it buried under snow.

Here is a pic I found:
Sawbuck_photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.