question for stove installers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That opening and the hearth in front of it looks big enough to hold a free standing stove.

A free standing stove with a decent sized firebox will be cheaper than an insert.

If you retired to save your back feeding that old beast of an insert isn't going to do it any favors.

If you buy a freestanding stove that is also EPA certified as an insert. The stove will throw good heat forward and you may never need a fan. My stove sits back in the fire box and it puts out way more heat then I need without a fan. Heating 1450 sq. ft. Even in single digits I had no trouble heating my home. I paid $2100 for stove and liner with cast iron legs that were an additional cost. I did shorten the legs so the stove stands 24" high and is 27" wide, would fit well in your firebox and not block off your stone work.
I know it's a sum of money, but your back will thank you as well as your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.