Question for Summit Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I just ran the liner down my chimney yesterday. I am look at about 15 or 16 feet to the top of the insert. The manual says 15 feet minimum. It's in an interior chimney. I wil not be insulating the liner. I may insulate it next year. Due to the nature of the top of my chimney, I have the option of cutting this liner in several places at the top. Is 15-16 feet enough or should I try to get it to 17-18? Will there be much difference in how it drafts with an extra foot or two.

I have 27', so can't really compare.
I'd say, try the longer length if your that curious, see how it works. If too much draft or unsightly, then cut her down some. Once shes cut, its cut.

karl said:
I just ran the liner down my chimney yesterday. I am look at about 15 or 16 feet to the top of the insert. The manual says 15 feet minimum. It's in an interior chimney. I wil not be insulating the liner. I may insulate it next year. Due to the nature of the top of my chimney, I have the option of cutting this liner in several places at the top. Is 15-16 feet enough or should I try to get it to 17-18? Will there be much difference in how it drafts with an extra foot or two.

You shouldn't have to insulate a liner for a internal chimney.. but its always the owners options to do so. Can you connect the liner to the stove then go on the roof and cut as needed?.. Are you using a top plate to keep the rain out?...

I would install a liner that short any day compared to going on my 40+ roof again...

karl said:
My plan is to connect it to the insert and then trim it on the roof. Yes I'm using a top plate.

A little tip for trimming it. Use a pocket knife. Poke it through and the liner will cut like butter except for the one place at the end where you cross a seam. Use snips for that. A lot easier and move level cut than anything else will do.

It doesn't give you a great feeling about the toughness of stainless liners, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.