Question for the Indoor Wood Furnace guys...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac

Mar 22, 2008
Central Ohio
I have a US Stove HotBlast 1557 that I installed in my basement last winter and just love the warmth of it compared to being cold and poor with the fuel oil furnace. Here's my problem... I run the fuel oil furnace fan CONSTANTLY to circulate the heat. Although it works well during the day, at night the fire burns down and all I'm doing is wasting electricity and blowing cold air around. What I want to do is install some sort of switch or relay from my woodburner's blower thermodisc to my fuel oil furnace's blower so that the blowers only run together (as opposed to having the whole house fan run all the time). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Use a relay with a 100vac coil. Wire the coil in parallel with the wood furnace fan. Wire the contacts to the oil furnace fan, in parallel with the oil furnace thermodisc if necessary. Essentially, you want the relay contacts to replace whatever switch you're now using to turn on the oil furnace fan.

I have a control/limit on mine. I wired mine into the circuit board of the lp furnace. When the control hits 140 it comes on and when the temp hits 80 on the back of the wood furnace, the blower kicks off. You should be able to wire it into the thermodisc.

Status
Not open for further replies.