Question for the loggers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Saw this load of logs out of Pennsy in Virginia today. Son asked "What's with the stickers and metal S things?" I couldn't figure out why they would sink pieces of metal in the ends. What's the deal?

I'd say the "S things" would be to prevent splitting from drying?

I would guess the same, but not really sure either. Seen it before though somewhere, sometime.

Looks like some sweet hardwoods, maybe headed to be shaved in to veneer.
I have seen similar "s" things in the ends of railroad ties, yes probably to prevent splitting.

Yep, rail road ties, that is the somewhere that I've seen them before.

The "S" shaped thingies are called logsavers. They are plastic, not steel. They are in fact used to prevent severe end-checking. The square plastic tags are used to track the log in transit, storage, processing, etc... Usually in addition to logsavers the ends are waxed. Veneer logs are very valuable, I have seen Walnut veneer logs sell for in excess of $20,000 for a 10' butt log.

The "S" shaped thingies are called logsavers. They are plastic, not steel. They are in fact used to prevent severe end-checking. The square plastic tags are used to track the log in transit, storage, processing, etc... Usually in addition to logsavers the ends are waxed. Veneer logs are very valuable, I have seen Walnut veneer logs sell for in excess of $20,000 for a 10' butt log.

Thanks NR...I thought of you when I read through this post......knew if you saw it we'd have an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.