Question for those that still have oil/propane or NG furnaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PutnamJct

Feeling the Heat
Do you still run your oil/propane or NG furnace every week, month or ? just to keep it in working order?

Nope, my natural gasser has only seen operation a handfull of times this whole season. All of the natural gas parts (valves, solenoids, timers) just sit there during the summer anyway so the only thing that is out of operation for an extended period of time is the blower motor. It is arguable that periodic running of the blower is needed as preventive maintenance, so if I don't need it, I let it set.

Corey

I do, it's in a crawlspace basement. If I let it sit, condensation builds up and can add rust or corrosion. Our propane furnace comes on each morning to take the temps up from night time setback to morning temp of 66. The pellet stove also comes on then and takes over for the rest of the day.

Ours runs whenever we need hot water ("tankless" hot water Oil furnace)
Boilermate or something to store hot water coming this summer, maybe some type of solar setup

I leave it off all winter, but the only part of the boiler that isn't used is the burner. The vessel is full of hot water from the wood-boiler heat exchanger, and the zone pumps kick on and off just like they would if the water was being heated with gas.

I'll have to turn the gas back on and re-light the pilot this spring, and the boiler will run occasionally when it's cool outside.

I'd say you're smart to fire it up periodically, BeGreen. These things were designed to run and if it's in a questionable environment, best to run it from time to time.

NG furnace is high efficiency with electronic ignition, so no pilot light using gas, so I just leave the thermostat set as usual, and if it kicks in, it is usually on the mornings I don't feel like getting up to fill the Summit back up, or if we are out of the house more than 12 hours or so. This serves two purposes....it keeps the blower and switches and other parts working occassionally, and also reminds me to get off my fat a** and go fill the stove with wood. Since I started burning, I find the sound of the furnace kicking grates on my nerves and gets me going.

Willhound

Same as willhound the thermostats are pre set. It is my job to see that they do not activate my oil burner. Less than 350 galons used here in New England and that includes hot water.

Willhound said:
. Since I started burning, I find the sound of the furnace kicking grates on my nerves and gets me going.

LOL
One of my splitting stations is next to the house where the powervent is for my oil furnace
I could probably split a 24" long piece of Elm in one shot when I hear it cycle

I used to run in and see how warm the house was, now the wife runs some hot water just to get me going :)

Good point Eric, maybe I will just make the system as efficient as I can

I run my ng furnace very low during the day when I can't be home.
Wish I could burn 24/7 ...but WORK keeps that from being the case.

When I am home, If I hear the furnace kick on, it's time to stoke the stove.Unquestionably.

Status
Not open for further replies.